Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Smirched" text in 13.10 font problem, some letters get unreadable until window switc

Beans

"Smirched" text in 13.10 font problem, some letters get unreadable until window switc

I'm starting this because there's another thread in Ubuntu +1. Users of 13.10 can feel free to post here and not worry about hijacking threads

I've been seeing one misformed letter per screen on Lubuntu 13.10 (clean install). It's mostly on Firefox beta. I'm not really sure if I've seen it with other apps.

If I highlight the letter by dragging the mouse cursor over it, the letter becomes perfect again.

If I press printscreen, the letter becomes perfect.

If I scroll the line off the screen and then bring it back, the letter appears perfect.
    Last edited by philinux; November 27th, 2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Title for merged threads.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: "Smirched" text in 13.10

Could this be related to your settings for text rendering, wherever that is in unity. Perhaps it is worth trying to change those settings in some way, particularly the hinting and sub-pixel-order

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Could this be related to your settings for text rendering, wherever that is in unity. Perhaps it is worth trying to change those settings in some way, particularly the hinting and sub-pixel-order
    I'm using Lubuntu + Thunar and xfdesktop. No Unity. I haven't knowingly made any changes re. hinting or sub-pixel-order or anti-aliasing.

It's quite rare, this one messed up letter on a screen, but I'll look out for whether it's only in Firefox beta or in other software as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm using Lubuntu + Thunar and xfdesktop. No Unity. I haven't knowingly made any changes re. hinting or sub-pixel-order or anti-aliasing.

It's quite rare, this one messed up letter on a screen, but I'll look out for whether it's only in Firefox beta or in other software as well.
    You may not have made any changes to hinting or sub-pixel order, but try editing the settings as I said before; maybe the OS default is not what is needed for your graphics card/monitor setup.

Beans

font problem, some letters get unreadable until window switches focus

here's a screenshot, please help me. The letter "U" is unreadable. I noticed it for the first time in 13.10.

font_problem.png

Beans

Re: font problem, some letters get unreadable until window switches focus

it happens at random and the letters get good again after the window gets focus or looses focus, or when I select(highlight) the text. It can happen to any of the letters and it happens in gnome terminal and in browsers.

Beans
    Distro

In my experience, garbled letters are usually (but not always) caused by graphics driver problems. That's because the rendered letters are cached in video memory. When the window loses focus it may change the colour of the letters, switching to a different set of cached characters. What graphics hardware do you have? Have you tried experimenting with different drivers, if available?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Been getting the same in Kubuntu after upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10. So it's not just limited to Ubuntu I guess.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans

I also have this problem, on a Lenovo Thinkapd x200. What are you using OP?

Beans

I'm using Dell desktop optiplex 780. The problem is still occuring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast