Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GTA V on Linux !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: GTA V on Linux !

There's really no room in the linux gaming community for neh-sayers and negative thinkers IMO. If you aren't interested in the threads subject matter why are you reading it and what's more you posted in it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    I'm curious how people expect to crowdfund projects like porting GTA V to Linux. Where does all of that money go to? Rockstar? Last time I checked Rockstar would have to start the campaign themselves for that, which they probably won't do.
    well one could approach rockstar with the idea. in this case a reuqest for service of porting to linux. if they agreed they would give a PI where they would state how much it would cost them then the fund would start gathering funds in crowds for this porting service. i wonder how much it would really cost them? would a million dollars do? since their game and whole engine is probably using directx.

but on the otherside they would basically get preorders...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Rockstar has traditionally been targeting the console market, so one would think their engine is OpenGL based. From what I can tell from their homepage they are once again targeting the console market as I see only the Playstation and Xbox versions being offered for order at present.

We have seen a couple of ports to the PC of their games in later years but as far as I've gathered they haven't been very good. The main challenge here is to port the code onto a completely different prosessor architecture.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    There's really no room in the linux gaming community for neh-sayers and negative thinkers IMO. If you aren't interested in the threads subject matter why are you reading it and what's more you posted in it?
    Its called realism and its generally better than the over-the-top optimism many people exhibit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have some doubts about whether this is going to work.
    Nunca te acostarás, sin saber una cosa más.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Its called realism and its generally better than the over-the-top optimism many people exhibit.
    Better how? No successful person ever became successful by doubt.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Beren Camlost View Post
    Rockstar has traditionally been targeting the console market, so one would think their engine is OpenGL based. From what I can tell from their homepage they are once again targeting the console market as I see only the Playstation and Xbox versions being offered for order at present.

We have seen a couple of ports to the PC of their games in later years but as far as I've gathered they haven't been very good. The main challenge here is to port the code onto a completely different prosessor architecture.
    This is the main problem of the Rockstar games. Bad ports. I own the original Triology for Windows and the ports are horrible:
    • GTA 3 is impossible to play with Vsync off, because the cars can't reverse, sometimes the hero trips and gets launched 50 meters, FPS is very unstable and so on
    • Vice City has the same problems, but at least the FPS is stable, however, It doesn't run without compatibility mode and you might need to turn off DEP
    • San Andreas is the worst. It's overloaded with special effects which make the game crawl at any resolution, when I turned on AA, the game was unplayable

I didn't touch GTA IV because of the GFWL, but search a little and you will see it's the same unoptimized garbage. If they don't manage to do a proper Windows port, imagine how awful the Linux port would be ...

also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136670

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    Better how? No successful person ever became successful by doubt.
    I disagree. Successful people become successful by having many doubts and choosing the path which seems most correct. Blindly moving forward without any doubts or cautions leads to the gutter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    I disagree. Successful people become successful by having many doubts and choosing the path which seems most correct. Blindly moving forward without any doubts or cautions leads to the gutter.
    Gotta agree with this. Why petition? Why not make change for yourself?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett9262 View Post
    Gotta agree with this. Why petition? Why not make change for yourself?
    Because one cannot port GTA V by his/her self. -_-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast