Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnumeric not working after upgrade to Xubuntu 13.10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Gnumeric not working after upgrade to Xubuntu 13.10

I have just upgraded to Xubuntu 13.10 from 13.04.

When I click on a .gnumeric file to open it Gnumeric fails to open and gives an error message "/home/username/Documents/xyz.gnumeric - no such file". In this message username is not my real user name so the path to the file is incorrect.

When I open Gnumeric from the menu it comes up OK but if I try to open a file from within Gnumeric the program just closes without any error message.

Before upgrading I have used Gnumeric extensively for years and never had any problem with it.

TIA

Alan
    HP-200-5220a - Pentium Dual Core - 3GHz x 2
    LinuxMint 17.2

Acer 5750Z - Intel Dual Core - 2.1GHz x 2

Windows 10

Beans
    Distro

Re: Gnumeric not working after upgrade to Xubuntu 13.10

Exactly the same thing is happening after I upgraded from Kubuntu 13.04 to 13.10

Does anyone have any suggestions? If I am posting to the wrong forum would someone please advise me.

TIA

Alan
    LinuxMint 17.2

Windows 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Difficult to pinpoint your issue. I don't find nothing in the internet, and I installed gnumeric myself, and it opened an old gnumeric file I still have without a problem. It is version 1.12.6 that comes with Ubuntu 13.10, so check wether you also have that version.

My system is a fresh install (i.e. after deleting the previous Ubuntu version), and not an upgrade over an existing Ubuntu 13.04. Upgrading may give issues, and that might or might not be one.

A way to try debugging the problem is to launch gnumeric from the command line. When gnumeric opens, load a file. If it craches, error messages might appear in the terminal and perhaps give an indication on the error.

Beans
    Distro

I have just done fresh install (ie not an upgrade) of Xubuntu 13.10 and Kubuntu 13.10. I am still having exactly the same problems on both computers.

The version of Gnumeric is 1.12.6

In xsession-errors the only error I have is the following -
    "
    openConnection: connect: No such file or directorycannot connect to brltty at :0Script for cjkv started at run_im.Script for default started at run_im."
    I do not know whether this is relevant

I can open the file from Xubuntu 13.04 without any problem so I think the file is OK

Alan
    LinuxMint 17.2

Windows 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Strange you have the problem on two desktops and two different computers, whereas I do not see anything (on standard Ubuntu 13.10 with Unity). Can you create and save a new file and then open that from within the program or from within the file manager? This to exclude a problem with the files you are trying to open.

Needles to say that I have no clue on the error message you get.

Beans

I have exactly the same problems since the 13.10 upgrade of my xubuntu install.

The file I created about 18 months ago under xubuntu 12.04 worked fine till 13.04. I could open it, edit its contens and save it - no probs.
    Then I did the upgrade to 13.10 and - bam! - doubleclicking the file leaves me with nothing but a crash-Message while openig the file in Gnumeric says "couldn't open file". That's all.

The file contains one spreadsheet and a seperate chart tab. Nothing special as I think.
    I'll do a strace of gnumeric tonight and see if there's a clue what wents wrong.

Also I'm going to try to export the data using a 13.04 live-cd. The graphics are no magic then.

And yes: I can create, save and open new gnumeric files under 13.10.

Beans

I have a similar problem with Lubuntu 13.10. A difference is I can open one file only, either by double-clicking the file to open it in gnumeric, or start gnumeric first and then open it. Attempting to open a second file and gnumeric crashes.

Edit:

Some more testing shows this to be file specific: some files open, and some will crash gnumeric with a segmentation fault. Knowing which will open beforehand, I can open multiple files so that is possible.
    Last edited by Dennis N; October 29th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Beans

Fixed this problem in Lubuntu 13.10 by reverting to the previous version of gnumeric, which was 1.12.1-1ubuntu1

1) Using Synaptic, removed completely gnumeric and gnumeric-common. (lubuntu-desktop was also removed)
    2) Located the .deb files of the older version.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/gnumeric
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/gnumeric-common

3) Verified by inspection that the dependencies shown were met on my system.
    4) Download the files.

5) Installed these with gdebi package installer - you must install gnumeric-common first.
    6) Locked these two packages against upgrading in Synaptic package manager. Otherwise, you will be prompted to upgrade.

7) Tested. Everything works normally.

My system is Lubuntu 13.10. All this will probably will work out the same in Xubuntu, but that is not certain.
    Last edited by Dennis N; October 29th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Beans

OK, downgrading gnumeric works - I already assumed that.
    But is that the way to deal with those crashes? Staying on gnumeric 1.2.1 isn't very appealing to me...

Anyway will report on my progress later...

Beans

Works for me. Gnumeric 1.12.1 has all the features I need. Truth be told, I don't detect much if any difference from version to version. Perhaps there are some added features I would never use. I will be watching for any progress. Please post your solution if you find one. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast