Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) on Ubuntu Server 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)

Beans

Re: Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) on Ubuntu Server 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Does it work if rollback to an older version of Ubuntu like 12.04? And just be clear I get this issue with 13.10 as dom0 with a HVM Windows domU..
    Last edited by hampus-n; March 15th, 2014 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) on Ubuntu Server 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by hampus-n View Post
    Does it work if rollback to an older version of Ubuntu like 12.04? And just be clear I get this issue with 13.10 as dom0 with a HVM Windows domU.
    I'm sorry, I have only tried this on 13.04 onwards and as far as I can recall, I have only been able to get Win7 (or any full ISOs) to work on Citrix's XenServer.

What has been your experience with this?
    “Evolution is a change from a no-howish, untalkaboutable, all-alikeness to a somehowish and in general talkaboutable not-all-alikeness by continuous sticktogetherations and something-elseifications.”
    WILLIAM JAMES (1842-1910)

Beans
    Distro

Re: Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) on Ubuntu Server 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)

Broken: Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)

Update 28th May 2014:

I was today in the process of installing a new XCP visualisation server and found that the xcp-xapi package is missing from the repo.
    A brief look at xcp-xapi 1.3.2-15ubuntu2 (amd64 binary) in ubuntu trusty and “xen-api” 1.3.2-15ubuntu2 source package in The Trusty Tahr shows:
    and
    1.3.2-15ubuntu2 DELETED: Trusty pocket Release in component universe and section admin. Removal requested on 2013-12-24. Deleted on 2013-12-24 by Matthias Klose. ocaml transition: doesn’t build
    I'm guessing that this is because XCP on Debian/Ubuntu and all platforms other than CentOS is no longer supported by Citrix, XCP has deprecated and major dependencies are now broken, but I must say that this is a terrible situation. As far as I'm aware, OpenStack and some others use XCP on Ubuntu for their infrastructure and this would appear to be a cynical method of getting them to switch to XenServer/CentOS. Personally I'd like to stick with Ubuntu and also don't like the Idea of switching to an inferior Xen Toolstack. Perhaps I aught to start from scratch and learn to use KVM?

If anyone knows anything about this situation and if it is likely to be remedied please let me know, I'd really appreciate it!

I will endeavour to get xcp-xapi installed by other means and report back as soon as I am able. Don't hold your breath though...
    “Evolution is a change from a no-howish, untalkaboutable, all-alikeness to a somehowish and in general talkaboutable not-all-alikeness by continuous sticktogetherations and something-elseifications.”

Beans

Seen any news on this? I've been searching and have yet to find anything.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the long delay, but I have found this thread in the mailing list, which seems to have recently risen to the top, on google: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/006800.html, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/006803.html;

I will quote in full:

Thu Jan 23 14:23:12 UTC 2014

This (and related) package has a bit of an upstream maintenance issue. All those
    packages together (blktap, xen-api, xen-api-libs, openxenserver?) make up the
    open source part of Citrix Xenserver. This was introduced in Precise LTS and
    (please correct me if I am wrong) was to some degree used to integrate Xen into
    OpenStack.

However there did not seem to be a lot of upstream work going into keeping it in
    a working state (packages are in universe). At least the xen-api-libs source
    package was FTBS in Saucy. And it is again (for a different reason) FTBS in Trusty.

Debian has removed xen-api/xen-api-libs from testing and were thinking about
    removing it completely from Sid as nobody cared about it. Citrix is working on
    some overhaul but have not come forward with something usable, yet.
    When being asked they came up asking whether the build failure could get fixed
    and then the current code be used for Trusty.

While this probably could be done (though the current ocaml type related problem
    I have my problems in understanding, but I am no ocaml developer), I would have
    my doubts about its quality (there unlikely will be much effort put into it). On
    the other hand, it is universe.

But at least with respect to OpenStack we should not rely on xcp to integrate
    Xen hosts. At least not as the only option. Currently I find much less xcp
    package in Trusty but this very likely is because of the build failure of
    xen-api-libs. Is there work being done to check whether libvirt could be used in
    nova instead (maybe already done).

So basically throwing the general question into the air what should be done with
    the xen-api* packages: removed (maybe bad as that could break upgrades from P),
    make them compile and decide whether to replace nova plugins by libvirt use or
    keep them and add libvirt use or ...?

-Stefan
    On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 03:23:12PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
    > Debian has removed xen-api/xen-api-libs from testing and were thinking about
    > removing it completely from Sid as nobody cared about it. Citrix is working on
    > some overhaul but have not come forward with something usable, yet.
    > When being asked they came up asking whether the build failure could get fixed
    > and then the current code be used for Trusty.

Unless somebody steps up to maintain xen-api, I don't think it makes
    sense to continue keeping these packages in Ubuntu, given that Debian
    have removed them from testing and the existing packages broken (and, it
    seems, thus stuck in trusty-proposed). So we should remove them from
    trusty-proposed.

If the packages get reinstated in Debian testing before our Debian
    Import Freeze, then we can have them in Trusty.

AIUI, our OpenStack packaging uses libvirt and libxen (-4.3?), so won't
    be affected. If I'm wrong here, please could somebody point this out
    now?

[...]

> So basically throwing the general question into the air what should be
    > done with the xen-api* packages: removed (maybe bad as that could
    > break upgrades from P), make them compile and decide whether to
    > replace nova plugins by libvirt use or keep them and add libvirt use
    > or ...?

The right time to drop support for something is in a new release. If
    xen-api doesn't ship in Trusty, then I don't think there's an issue with
    there not being an upgrade path. As a distribution, we can only pass on
    to users what is available upstream. Perhaps we should just add a
    release note to say that xen-api is no longer available.

Robie
    Last edited by Rich.T.; August 19th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The reason for my quoting this now, is that I just did a new google search and found these results, based on the fact that a recent thread in the xen-api.lists.xen.org mailing list caught my attention recently:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/api/343358

(FYI: I have subscribed to the digests for this list; you may want to do the same):

http://lists.xen.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-api

I really hope that this helps and I hope that once the development push at XenServer has concluded and the next big XenServer version is out there, XCP will be fixed on other platforms (including Ubuntu).

Rich.

P.S. The above thread suggests compiling XCP/XAPI from source and provides the relevant information (degree of success: unknown at this point). If anyone succeeds, please let us know!

P.P.S. I would suggest that it is well worth checking out the Xen Cloud Platform/Xenserver page on Google+, as you are likely to get some kind of response to any well thought-out question.
    Last edited by Rich.T.; August 19th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12