Thread: Problem - Software updates crashes

Beans

Exclamation Problem - Software updates crashes

I am unable to open the Ubuntu Software Centre, it crashes and disappear.
    And the error message is as follows:

[An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.
    Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:
    'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E: problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/in.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_multive rse_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.']

Please help me out.

System Details:
    Processor:
    Intel® Core™ i3-3210 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
    OS type: 32 bit , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Last edited by jaffar-sb; October 23rd, 2013 at 01:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Software Centre

Open up a Terminal and type "sudo apt-get install --reinstall software-center" (without quotation marks). Then try running it again.

If your question is solved, please mark it with [SOLVED]by using Thread Tools.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Software Centre

Welcome. You would have a better chance of getting help if you used a thread title that actually described your problem. This one says nothing. You can change it by editing your first post, 'Go Advanced' and edit the thread title.

Please use titles that actually describe the problem in future rather than generic titles like, 'Problem' or '12.04' or 'Issues with laptop'. You will greatly improve your chances of getting support.

Good luck.

Beans

Re: Problem - Software updates crashes

thanks a lot for guiding me.

@ daniel: i tried using the option which you provided, yet the error message appears as follows

Reading package lists... Error!E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/in.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_multive rse_binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Does the update manager update itself, or something needs to be done to correct it.?

thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try this from terminal:

Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
    sudo apt-get update
    If no errors are reported then run the update-manager again. If errors are reported then post them here.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alright. After looking around a bit, here are some other, possible solutions:
    Try "sudo pip install --upgrade oauthlib" in the Terminal. If that doesn't work, try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure software center --force" (these are some solutions I found through other websites, so I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Daniel
    If your question is solved, please mark it with [SOLVED]by using Thread Tools.

Beans

thank you fantab. it worked.