Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 13.10 autostart issues

Beans

Lubuntu 13.10 autostart issues

Hi,

I did a clean install of Lubuntu 13.10 recently, but at the moment I have problems with autostarting applications.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. I want to autostart Dropbox after Login. Therefore, I copied the .desktop file into ~/.config/autostart/ . -> Doesn't work.
    2. Then, I checked ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf . I changed disable_autostart from "disable-config" to "no".
    3. Reboot, and now the strange thing: Dropbox autostarts, but the network manager autostarts twice now.
    4. Then I checked lxsession-default-apps Autostart tab, the app seems to suffer from a bug:

At first, the menu for disable-autostart is set to "no", but the field for "known applications" is empty.
    After changing disable-autostart to another setting and back to "no", some applications show up. However, the columns are copied 4 times, placed one after another. Repeating that process will cause more columns to appear, extending the window's size horizontally. Still, after playing around with this a bit, I'm unable to prevent the network manager from starting up twice.

I don't know if this bug is known, or where to report it. Can someone help me?

PS: I'd provide screenshots,but I don't know where I should upload them/link them from.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lubuntu 13.10 autostart issues

Autostart of apps in lubuntu is not so straightforward as it is in Ubuntu or Xubuntu buty here are some pointers which may help you sort out the difficulty you are having.

Include command to start apps in list in:-
    /home/username/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart
    eg,

parcellite normal command
    gmail-notify-delay shell script copied to /usr/bin
    bash -c "sleep 10; conky" compound command to give 10 second delay

Other items go in either
    /etc/xdg/autostart as the .desktop configuration file, ie the launcher copied /usr/share/applications
    or
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart in form

@nm-applet
    @lxpanel --profile Lubuntu
    @xscreensaver -no-splash
    @xfce4-power-manager
    @pcmanfm --desktop --profile lubuntu
    @/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
    @notap (this is a shell script I wrote to stop trackpad tap-to-click which I then copied to/usr/bin)

Beans

You aren't alone in being confused about lxsession-default-apps.

Beans

I'm not sure how helpful this post will be, but I have been suffering from the same issues. I too got most things set up correctly, but nm-applet was always spawning two processes and dropbox isn't autostarting.

Ultimately, I restored a desktop.conf file that I had backed up from 13.04 and that seemed to fix most of my problems; everything is working properly except for dropbox.

For now, I would suggest not using lxsession-default-apps, restoring an old or editing the desktop.conf file and then trying to get your autostart issues resolved.

Here is my /.config/lxsession/lubuntu/desktop.conf. You will need to edit for your particular install; theme, font, etc.

Code:
    [Session]
    window_manager=openbox-lubuntu
    disable_autostart=config-only

[GTK]
    sNet/ThemeName=Lubuntu-default
    sNet/IconThemeName=Faenza-Dark
    sGtk/FontName=Ubuntu 11
    iGtk/ToolbarStyle=3
    iGtk/ButtonImages=1
    iGtk/MenuImages=1
    iGtk/CursorThemeSize=18
    iXft/Antialias=1
    iXft/Hinting=1
    sXft/HintStyle=hintslight
    sXft/RGBA=rgb
    sGtk/CursorThemeName=DMZ-White
    sGtk/ColorScheme=
    iGtk/ToolbarIconSize=3
    iNet/EnableEventSounds=1
    iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1

[Mouse]
    AccFactor=20
    AccThreshold=10
    LeftHanded=0

[Keyboard]
    Delay=500
    Interval=30
    Here is my /.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart. Again, edit for your install:

Code:
    @pcmanfm --desktop --profile lubuntu
    @/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
    @xscreensaver -no-splash
    @xfce4-power-manager
    @xcompmgr
    @tint2
    @volumeicon
    @nm-applet
    @clipit -n
    @yeahconsole
    Lastly, I too have dropbox installed and have a dropbox.desktop file in /.config/autostart, but that fails to start at boot. Because my desktop.conf is set to config-only, I may have to add '@dropbox start' to my /.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart config file, but I have yet to test that out.

** Edit: adding '@dropbox start' to my /.config/lxsession/lubuntu/autostart file works correctly. After adding that, dropbox successfully starts at boot.
    Also, it seems as though lxsession ignores any files in the /.config/autostart folder. I can't say that with 100% confidence, but any .desktop file placed in that folder fails to autostart. Again, that may be because my desktop.conf file is set to config-only.

Hopefully you find something useful within this post.
    Last edited by infectedorganism; October 23rd, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

Beans

My autostart (/home/vasa1/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart) is this:
    Code:
    /home/vasa1/.dropbox-dist/dropbox
    /home/vasa1/bin/cpu-usage-alert.sh
    Note the lack of "@" at the start of each line. The second line is irrelevant but the first is what I used to get Dropbox 2.4.3 going on startup.

Beans

You can stop the the additional instance of the network manager from starting by removing the following line from your ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf file:

Code:
     network_gui/command=nm-applet

Beans

Exclamation Re: Lubuntu 13.10 autostart issues

In case anyone who uses earlier versions of Lubuntu were redirected here, a procedure that worked for me was:
    1) Go to /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu folder; 2) sudo nano autostart; 3) Add programs wanted, save and exit; **(Directly putting cli commands in autostart file causes lxsession user preferences to not load, thus I added bash filename.sh into autostart (no /bin/ pathname necessary) and achieved my purpose)

I had originally tried the above to try to 1) reactivate LibreOffice Quickstarter (a]Make bash file with “libreoffice --quickstart --nologo –nodefault”; b] place bash filename.sh in /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/Autostart file); and 2) have pcmanfm to autostart up to my most commonly used directory (pcmanfm pcmanfm /media/a/LG/AC/Learn/). The method I have provided works for older versions.

Again, hope everyone can learn from my mistake. Definitely do not put regular cli commands directly into Autostart and expect them to execute normally, neither my desktop background, pcmanfm preferences(specifically the folder would open in icon view rather than my preference which is "detailed" view), nor my symbolic links loaded each time after bootup, and I was left with a desolate gray screen.

(I'm using Lubuntu 13.04 on a Samsung NC110 netbook, 2GB RAM)
    Last edited by afc888ny; December 23rd, 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fpD7n6W View Post
    Hi,

I did a clean install of Lubuntu 13.10 recently, but at the moment I have problems with autostarting applications.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. I want to autostart Dropbox after Login. Therefore, I copied the .desktop file into ~/.config/autostart/ . -> Doesn't work.
    I had the same issue with dropbox. This one worked for me:
    Menu --> Preferences --> Default applications for LXSession --> Autostart
    Under Manual autostarted application type "dropbox start" (without quotes) and hit add.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by peysun1 View Post
    I had the same issue with dropbox. This one worked for me:
    Menu --> Preferences --> Default applications for LXSession --> Autostart
    Under Manual autostarted application type "dropbox start" (without quotes) and hit add.
    Yes, I can confirm this really works. The new GUI may require some tidying, but is a welcome addition which appears in Lubuntu 13.10.

I may add, that any application you may want to concot must be placed in /usr/bin to work in autostart. For example, I detest touchpads, so I wrote a simple application:

#!/bin/sh

synclient TouchpadOff=1

Named it TouchpadOff.sh, enabled execution, placed it (as root) in /usr/bin and added it with the above method suggested by peysun. Now my touchpad is off from the very start.

Beans

I also faced strange not working of .config/autostart. I found out finally that all programs must be in a form .desktop file.
    So if I put there two files, say
    autokey.desktop
    tappingoff.sh
    then none of them were executed, to I had to write
    tappingoff.desktop
    with following text:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=tapping off
    GenericName=vyckvik mysi
    Comment=aby neprudila
    Exec=/home/USERNAME/bash/tapping_off.sh
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=default
    Categories=Utility;

Suprisingly now both files run correctly...
    May be this can be of some help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast