Thread: My advice for System76

Beans

Lightbulb My advice for System76

I have owned one System76 in my life, and I enjoyed it for its linuxy goodness... but recently I chose not to purchase again, and instead went with a Thinkpad.

Here is the market that I fall into, that I wish System76 could fill:
    I am a road warrior programmer. I look for:
    - Durability, lenovo style. I dropped my System76 once, and it broke the screen.
    - Battery (10 hours+. This also means intel graphics, as well as a soldered intel cpu)
    - Lightweight (3 lbs w/ 6 cell battery)
    - 12-13"
    - extremely plain business Aesthetics. No Fancy/postmodern/metrosexual logos. I would be willing to settle with a modest laptop line name, like "IT", "Developers Platform", or "DraftBook", or perhaps even a linux penguine outline tucked into the corner. Nothing like, "Figmant48", "VIAO", or a big obnoxious fruit in the middle.
    - Keyboard with deep keys(Colemak and Dvorak default layouts would be SOOOO COOL! I would totally pay an extra 50-60 dollars for that)
    - Keyboard with the capslock replaced by a backspace. (okay, colemak does that already)
    - Keyboard moved to the top of pad, leaving as much space to rest your palms.
    - Extra keyboard keys important to Programmers and engineers.
    - Trackpoint
    - Actual mouse buttons ( I hate touchpads)
    - 4g
    - Quickbootup (15 seconds)
    - Water Spill protection, like the other thinkpads.

I don't care about:
    - Mass (As long as its light, I don't mind it being thick)
    - Sleakness (Racing stripes and gloss are actually a big turn off)
    - Graphics (Intel integrated is more than enough)
    - Fingerprint Reader
    - Sound
    - Packaged CD's

Effectively, I want a Thinkpad x series. That being said; Lenovo is taking such a terrible direction, mucking with the formula, and they are evolving into a generic laptop manufacturer. When that happens, I will be looking again for that laptop maker who just has plain utility in mind.

Anyways, I don't know how often you get this type of feedback, so I thought you might appreciate it. Thanks and good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: My advice for System76

I see a lot of laptops for sale that look interesting until I notice that they have glossy screens. I fail to understand why they do that, this old HP has a matt screen and I will be at a loss to replace it when it dies.

Beans

Also... ubuntu has an option in keyboard settings to use caps lock as a backspace, just in case you hadn't found it yet.

Settings > keyboard > layout settings > options... > caps lock key behavior > Make caps lock an additional backspace

Beans

I have a much simpler request. When I pay $1200 plus for a laptop I would like the keyboard to at least consistently register keystrokes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think glossy screens are a result of laptops becoming video consumption machines--16:9, wide format, glossy for greater contrast with lower brightness which means slightly longer battery life. Manufacturers assume that people don't do real work on laptops. Hence glossy, crappy screens and intermittent keyboards.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Why not 12 cell battery I don't care about weight. I want it heavy so I notice a difference in my backpack when it is not there so I do not walk away without it. Also if you have an optical drive at least make it one able to burn slow so I can burn iso files with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Shammai View Post
    I have owned one System76 in my life, and I enjoyed it for its linuxy goodness... but recently I chose not to purchase again, and instead went with a Thinkpad.
    Over a year ago I purchased new, a Toshiba Satellite c655-s5503. Just recently I picked up a used Lenovo Thinkpad T400 for $20.

Toshiba has i3 processor and intel graphics, with 4 gigs of RAM, and 5400 RPM HD.
    Lenovo has Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz × 2 and intel graphics, with 2 gigs of RAM, and 7200 RPM HD.

The Lenovo out performs the newer Toshiba, I don't know whether to laugh or cry

I am grateful for being at the right place at the right time, where a business was unloading old hardware. The comfort of use and quality of this Thinkpad is not matched.

This Thinkpad T400, with Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS, is now my daily driver. I hear you Shammai, Lenovo Thinkpads are now, and in the future, my hardware