Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus 3.8: Functions removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry Nautilus 3.8: Functions removed

Some rant out of frustration. I had the brilliant of upgrading one of my systems to 13.10, just to see how it looks like. Along came this thing called Nautilus 3.8 which impairs several key activities that suddenly make Ubuntu much harder to use. Beyond the several features removed, it doesn't integrate with Rabbit, so no access to SVN or Git servers; the connection to remote file servers is so buggy that it is useless.

How is everyone else faring with this beast? Why was something this low quality introduced in this release?

Thanks for listening.

Beans

Re: Nautilus 3.8: anyone else pulling their hair off?

Nautilus is one of the buggier elements in my software but being the default
    i am reluctant to switch to one of the other browsers yet.
    Having put 13.10 on the standby box there seems too many drawbacks elsewhere
    to upgrade the main box but i was pleased to see the window title bar chop off
    with 13.04 has been fixed on 13.10 for browsing directories.
    The loss of a bookmark button in the browser top bar was the biggest recent setback in
    Nautilus (using Gnome) to me, resulting in a need to have open two surrounding panels,
    a top and a side, for a lot more tasks, slowing activity down on a packed workspace.
    Maybe the next Nautilus will fill out the other two sides with panels,
    sand, rocks, seaweed, fish, ..and a star feature.

Beans

Re: Nautilus 3.8: Functions removed

Maybe the patches in this ppa will address some of your problems.

https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archi...s_filter=saucy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Nautilus 3.8: Functions removed

I'm using an older version of Nautilus with classic Gnome. I've heard the double panel will be removed...Gradually everything users need and enjoy is being removed so our computers will be as stupid and limited as a so-called "smart" phone.
    To say this angers and frustrates me is an understatement major big time.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro

I feel like I'm being forced to start using a different file browser and I simply do not like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I would agree that Nautilus is a train wreck. I am using Ubuntu Gnome 3.10 and discovered that the backspace key no longer works (bug or feature?) So, tried the popular fix of changing a .config file and no difference -- sigh! Then, tried Nemo in a Virtualbox install. Its better but puts icons on the desktop that I could not get away from. IMO, Nautilus is the biggest problem with 3.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Ubuntu,Linux and OS chat forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

There are 2 forks Caja (forked from the 2.32) and Nemo (from 3.4). They retain the old features, and even add a few.

Beans
    Distro

Hi ssam, thanks for the note. I already knew about Caja and Nemo but was avoiding to move away from the default file manager shipped with Ubuntu - unfortunately this doesn't seem possible. I'm now trying to get acquainted with Nemo, it surely works better, the only thing missing is the integration with RabbitVCS.

The question would then be why stuck Canonical to a piece of software this bad?

Beans

Gnome seems to be bent on purging itself of anything that resembles a "power user" feature. Ubuntu is focused on mobile, writing a new display server, and rewriting Unity yet again in Qt/QML. I'm guessing that neither forking and maintaing a GTK3 codebase, nor depending on a shaky community fork sounds like a winning long-term strategy. So probably sticking with the same codebase and losing a few features that a subset of power users need is an acceptable compromise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast