Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is so difficult about a weather app?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What is so difficult about a weather app?

I cannot believe that a simple thing like a weather app is hard to find.
    The app in the Software Centre is broken even though Launchpad says that it's fixed. When trying to add a location you get to "Apply" then it hangs and generates "Ubuntu had an internal error".

indicator-weather 11.11.28-0ubuntu1.3
    I'm running a fully updated Ubuntu 12.04
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux snappy 3.8.0-32-generic #47~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 2 16:19:35 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have reported this at Launchpad but I still cannot find a solution.

On AskUbuntu there are various answers but none of these "weather" apps show me want I want to know.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/14970...op-weather-app
    I want to know the wind speed and direction for the day. Where I live the weather is determined by the speed and direction of the wind and it changes quite often.
    The technical term for it is "hyper-oceanic". For the current wind direction I can look out of the window, I want to know what it's going to do later.

Maybe I should learn how to setup Conky
    Any ideas? </moderate_rant_level>
    Last edited by coldraven; October 22nd, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is so difficult about a weather app?

my-weather-indicator is pretty comprehensive.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    my-weather-indicator is pretty comprehensive.

Code:
    You need to add the ppa first. It is not in the repository as far as I remember.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ah, you are correct, monkeybrain. It's been a while and I forgot. It's the atareao repository.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
    sudo apt-get update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

ah, you are correct, monkeybrain. It's been a while and I forgot. It's the atareao repository.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    I added this - its pretty good.

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    So I installed this to check it out and I like how it stays neat up in the top and shows the temprature and a small icon representing the weather. However I had earlier gotten a a wiget that sits on my desktop for weather that I liked. It's actually the only thing I use out of Screenlets (https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/screenlets/) because I could not for the life of me get Conkey to run smoothly no matter how I tried.

Beans

I figured out how to edit images, so this is what it looks like on my desktop with Screenelts' weather app:

Note, I just have the widget's transparency down a bit so it's subtle, and expanded to a full forecast.
    Last edited by b|ackhole; October 27th, 2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added "Note, ..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Weather apps aren't especially difficult. I assume their apparent dearth is due to lack of interest. It's isn't unusual in FOSS for small single-purpose apps to be written more or less as learning experiences and then abandoned.

Every one I've seen works the same way: Ask the user to identify a location, grab the current forecast/conditions from an online source, parse the text that's returned, and display it in a pop up adorned with cute weather images.

A large number of shell script incarnations of these are scattered across the web that can be executed in a terminal. Not as pretty, but probably more informative.

I just point my browser at a good weather site. Here in the U.S. it's one of the NOAA sites, in the UK it's the Met Office, and so on.

Beans

One of the tough things is that free weather providers (like weather.com) will shut down their services, so there are some good weather applets/scripts out there that are currently broken until they're updated to a new provider. I had a tough time finding a good weather app in KDE, but at least the xfce weather app works nicely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    [...]free weather providers (like weather.com) will shut down their services, so there are some good weather applets/scripts out there that are currently broken[...]
    Exactly. And most free providers (when available) offer different types of data. Also, data type and quality varies from continent to continent.

So a developer has two choices: Either create a quite complex three-layer application (provider plug-in, abstraction, display), or create a very simple two-layer application (single-provider, display). No big surprise that after looking at the issues, most developers decided upon the latter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast