Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is so difficult about a weather app?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What is so difficult about a weather app?

Why rely on others? Install your own super-computer weather forecasting system and predict your own weather.

Some interesting apps in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-226686.html
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    [...]I get that by plugging my zipcode into weather.gov once a day[...]
    So you use NOAA data. The USA is one of those data-rich environments, and pulling customized information from the National Weather Service is easy. All you need are the customized http and ftp URLs.

What I want [...] is something that alerts me to localized severe and dangerous weather. E.g., if a tornado or severe thunderstorm warning is issued near me, I want something to beep and popup. There are phone apps for this, usually from local TV stations, but I'm not aware of any on Linux.
    Easy in the United States, which is divided into alert zones roughly matching most counties, and has a public RSS feed of alerts.

Ugh. One of these days, I really do need to get back to work on my US weather application...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post

Easy in the United States, which is divided into alert zones roughly matching most counties, and has a public RSS feed of alerts.
    Right, and I have the local one in my reader. The reader, thought, doesn't go "BZZZT!" when a new alert has been issued. I know how to conjure one up by hand, but I'm too lazy.

I hafta say my favorite weather applet was the old Gnome 2 (now Mate) gizmo, the one with the radar map that simply displayed the text of the current local forecast. Much more informative than the current trend of taking up most of the space with big graphics to illustrate the current weather.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The ForecastFox addon puts an icon the browser's status bar for the radar. If you hover over it, you get a nicely-sized pop-up window. If you click it, it takes you to the AccuWeather radar page for your location.

The temperature and forecast are not superimposed, though. You have to hover over the adjacent icon for that.

If you have a browser open nearly all the time, as I do, ForecastFox is pretty convenient.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The ForecastFox addon puts an icon the browser's status bar for the radar. If you hover over it, you get a nicely-sized pop-up window. If you click it, it takes you to the AccuWeather radar page for your location.
    Another vote here for ForecastFox. I started using it just because it was the only one I found that gave a radar without having to goto a website, but like you said, if you've got a browser open all the time anyways it's really convenient.

The temperature and forecast are not superimposed, though. You have to hover over the adjacent icon for that.
    Does it not give you those options? I don't usually have the forecast enabled (just current temp and radar), but here's a screenshot with current temp, and 2-day day/night forecast:

Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I hide the texts that accompany the icons to save space. Then you'll see the forecast but have to hover over the icon to pop up details.

However I just discovered you can select the number of days out for which the temperature is hidden. I just added it to the most current icon.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/g...ives-on-ubuntu

Stormcloud is pretty neat, I used it before switching to Pocket Weather on my phone.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

If you have a browser open nearly all the time, as I do, ForecastFox is pretty convenient.
    I just tried forecastfox but I did not like it's reliance on javascript. When I enabled it I saw that it uses Google APIs, I'm not keen on giving my location to them. (I use NoScript extensively)
    I will just look at the BBC for my weather although the NSA/GCHQ probably have a feed there already they don't bombard me with adverts

MagicSeaweed have good animated wind speed charts, it's a surfer site.
    http://magicseaweed.com/MSW-Surf-Cha...hartType=WMAG#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    ah, you are correct, monkeybrain. It's been a while and I forgot. It's the atareao repository.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator
    I added this - its pretty good.

Beans

What I want [...] is something that alerts me to localized severe and dangerous weather. E.g., if a tornado or severe thunderstorm warning is issued near me, I want something to beep and popup. There are phone apps for this, usually from local TV stations, but I'm not aware of any on Linux.
    Aha! I finally found it. I wrote something along those lines recently for NOAA data.
    A shell script that does the alert popup is at the bottom of http://cheesehead-techblog.blogspot....nfo-feeds.html
    It does not do the sound, though that would be very easy to add.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast