Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with ia32-lib and new Ubuntu 13.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Issue with ia32-lib and new Ubuntu 13.10

Hello,

I do support and testing of a virtual world viewer package which is cross platform, but only written for 32 bit systems.
    Please excuse the long winded post. I wanted to be detailed as much as possible in this matter.

Our viewer has been running for some time now without any issues on various Linux distros including 64bit systems.
    The issue we have is that the new 13.10 64bit system will not run until you install the 32bit libs. I have tested this with a fresh install of 13.10 and this wreaks havoc with 13.10 after the libraries have been added. I have reinstalled 13.10 and repeated this at least four times to see if it was just an issue with the install. A updated install of a previous Ubuntu did not seem to have any issues.

The issues are as follows:
    13.10 would start to run slow. The viewer would now run, but unusable due to the very low frame rate to the point of locking up. I did not check the CPU usage but I am thinking that this could be the issue and or a memory issue. The latency was so high to the point that typing or movement is behind 3-5 seconds or better.
    Another odd issue which I was able to repeat; with a fresh install, after installing the ia32-lib and after a reboot the system stated that there were new updates available. All the updates were checked twice before this and were up to date. This new update went on for roughly an hour. This was with a fiber high speed connection of 25x25 so the time was not due to the connection speed. So this should rule out any delay on this odd update.
    As I watched this update it seemed to be installing a new system and items that I feel should not have to be installed.
    After this situation I rebooted the system and there was no activity after grub. I also tried the recovery at the grub menu and it produced a very long list of errors followed on the next reboot. Of course I had to reinstall again since 13.10 was trashed. As stated above I was able to repeat this.
    I have been researching various methods of updating or lets say back-dating to add 32bit libraries for this type of situation. What I have found is that the below steps using the outdated ia32-lib is the issue.
    Should the installation of the 32bit libs been done as ia32-lib-multiarch? If yes, can someone please correct the below steps so we do not run into this issue for the users that are using a fresh Install of 13.10.

Thank you for your time and patience with this long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TC
    --------------------------------------
    Code:

1. Install Synaptic from terminal window ( Ctrl+Alt+T ) if you have not done so already.
    2. Type or copy this in the terminal minus the quotes " sudo apt-get install synaptic "
    3. Launch synaptic and goto “Settings then Repositories”
    4. Click “other software then add”
    5. Insert this line in the box "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted universe multiverse"
    6. click ok and close synaptic
    7. Type or copy minus the quotes in the terminal “sudo apt-get update” Wait until the listing stops and you are at the prompt.
    8. Then type or copy minus the quotes “sudo apt-get install ia32-libs” Wait until install is finished then reboot your computer.
    9. Run viewer per the readme text provided.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Issue with ia32-lib and new Ubuntu 13.10

Do you mean TeamViewer?, if so there is a solution.

TeamViewer On Ubuntu

On newer 64-bit DEB-systems with Multiarch-support (Debian 7) teamviewer_linux_x64.deb cannot be installed because the package ia32-libs is not available anymore on these systems. In this case you can use teamviewer_linux.deb instead.

In case you get the error “wrong architecture i386” you have to execute the following command lines:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

apt-get update

For further information: http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello Scouser73,

Thanks for the quick responce to my long post.
    This is not team viewer, but is good to know there is a fix for that. This is a Viewer for a virtual world. Some call it a game, but it is actually a social network with avatars and such. No points or capture the flag. Just folks hanging out. http://secondlife.com/ We are a third party viewer for SL. It is just a 32 bit program trying to make it in a new 13.10 64bit world.
    Your suggestion looks interesting though. I'll give it a go here.

Thanks again

TC

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Smile Re: Issue with ia32-lib and new Ubuntu 13.10

Hi geemac2,

I've done a bit of googling and found this.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-13-10

Canonical has decided to end support for the transitional package of ia32-libs. This will not allow 64 bit versions of this distribution (13.10) to access Secondlife. Here is a workaround using ia32-libs from a previous distribution (13.04). This has been tested with the release candidate of 13.10 and all is well and functional.

Install Synaptic from terminal window

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Launch synaptic and goto “settings > Repositories”

click “other software > add”

insert this line in the box
    Code:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted universe multiverse
    click ok and close synaptic

in terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    in terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello again.
    LOL yep I know that post well.... I know who wrote the original steps. That is the group I do the support for. I suggested that they put the warning on that post in the Wiki.
    That does not work since that is an old ia32-lib. That lib will wreak havoc with 13.10.

I'm just getting ready to try your earlier suggestion.

Thanks again

TC
    Last edited by geemac2; October 22nd, 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geemac2 View Post
    Hello again.
    LOL yep I know that post well.... I know who wrote the original steps. That is the group I do the support for. I suggested that they put the warning on that post in the Wiki.
    That does not work since that is an old ia32-lib. That lib will wreak havoc with 13.10.

I'm just getting ready to try your earlier suggestion.

Thanks again

TC
    did you find a solution? I need ia32-lib too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello Simon.
    I did find a fix here but it may only pertain to my system. It is quite involved, but it worked for me. If it works for you Please let me know along with your system setup so I can post the info to our Dev team for the viewer. This way I can keep an eye on what systems these steps worked with.

The below information is what I posted to our JIRA for our viewer. The older ia32-lib did not properly work in 13.10 with our viewer, but the steps below did. If any of the Ubuntu 13.10 experts see anything wrong in these steps or a much shorter way to get the proper 32 bit libraries installed for the 32 bit programs that used to work under 13.04 with the old ia32-lib Please let me know.
    Thank you...

I would follow steps 4 and on.

1. Download Firestorm Linux

2. Un-archive the package folder to your Home Directory. Make sure it is just the folder not all the contents. That would be a bit messy. Rename the folder to firestorm or a name of your choice. Placing the Firestorm folder in your Home Directory will make the next steps easier.

3. Now for the fun part, Fasten your seatbelt. Now we will install the missing 32 Bit libraries.

4. Install these library packages first by opening the *Terminal window using Ctrl+Alt+T. You can Copy and Paste (C/P) the below line or type it, whichever is easier for you.
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libidn11:i386

5. Next we are going to add some small applications which contain extra 32 Bit libraries.
    Type or C/P the following line in the terminal window.
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:i386 gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:i386 gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg:i386
    These are mainly audio/sound applications, but we just need the libraries that are included. You can also combine the last two step in this fashion, but I strongly would not recommend this method.
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libidn11:i386 gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:i386 gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:i386 gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg:i386

6. After this is all complete reboot the system via terminal, sudo reboot or via the normal method.

7. After the system is running and settled open your terminal and type cd firestorm or the name you gave the folder.

8. Now type ./firestorm and sit back and watch the flow of text in the terminal window.
    Firestorm Viewer should be up and running at this point. If it is taking too much time to go through its paces or unresponsive, look at the terminal and see if the flow of text is repeating lines in reference to QPainter. If so follow steps 9-10 if not and the Viewer is running fine for you then skip the next steps and you should be on your way.

9. If the Viewer seems to be unresponsive or slow,stop the operation by shutting down Firestorm or close the terminal. You may also have to reboot the system if the terminal and the viewer are unresponsive.

10. Reopen the terminal if you had shut it down or rebooted the system in the previous step. Once in the terminal C/P or type this line. You can also install via **Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center. After searching for qpainter it will be shown as libqtexengine1 .
    sudo apt-get install libqtexengine1 then enter.

11. Once this application is installed, reboot via the terminal or the usual method.

12. After your computer has rebooted and settled, reopen the terminal and go to the firestorm directory and type ./firestorm Firestorm should now be running smooth.
    Have Fun

*Terminal
    I would suggest that you also install a small little terminal package called Guake. Once installed and running you can access the terminal, now a drop down by pressing F12. This is a great method to accessing the terminal without the fuss of pressing three keys. Also Guake will also move out of the way if you set it up to do so. It will also retain where you left off so you do not have to keep retyping your commands. Guake can be installed by two methods. One being the Ubuntu Software Center and the other is via Synaptic. I have not tried via the terminal using sudo apt-get install guake. The latter may work.

**Synaptic
    I would strongly suggest that you install this application above all applications. Open the terminal via F12 if you installed Guake or Ctrl+Alt+T and run this line
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    No reboot is needed for either the Guake terminal or Synaptic.
    Last edited by geemac2; October 26th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Beans

I HAD MY FIRESTORM RUNNING OK BUT SINCE I INSTALLED NEW CUDA 5.5 IT STOP WORKING, WHEN I TRY TO UPDATE OR INSTALL ia32-libs IT GIVES ME THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE.
    MY Ubuntu IS 12.04
    RUNNING ON
    I7 PROCESSOR
    GE-FORCE 640 NVIDIA

ANY IDEA
    THANKS

shams@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    [sudo] password for shams:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    ia32-libs is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libcublas4 libnpp4 libvdpau-dev gir1.2-ubuntuoneui-3.0 libcudart4 g++-4.4
    libcurand4 nvidia-opencl-dev nvidia-cuda-dev nvidia-cuda-doc nvidia-cuda-gdb
    libqtassistantclient4 opencl-headers libubuntuoneui-3.0-1
    thunderbird-globalmenu libcusparse4 nvidia-compute-profiler libthrust-dev
    libcufft4 libstdc++6-4.4-dev
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1704 not upgraded.

Beans

Oh God, I cant take anymore, i spent 8 days, not one hour a day but 14-15 hours a day just to solve my Ubuntu Issues optimize it and get it running and now when it was up and running i made the foolish step to ask for a help about lib32, If i knew i am going to end up with a blue screen or there was a slightest chance to get into this , i would never had done this,
    as some one suggested i upgraded and now my screen is completely blue, nothing but mouse cursor.

Please somebody help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@ shamstaj; Hey;

That is not the operating system at fault, scream at the hardware manufactures who do not support linux and ubuntu in particular !
    Now see what the open source developers are trying to do to help your situation:
    http://test.ubuntu-discourse.org/t/h...d-12-04-3/1144
    we have worked to officially support Hybrid graphics in Ubuntu 13.10 and in 12.04.3 LTS.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/HybridGraphics

Linux now supports Hybrid Graphics Systems with Ubuntu 13.10
    http://rudrageek.com/linux-now-suppo...-ubuntu-13-10/

Not that this helps your situation, may not apply to "cudda" ; but anything that requires installation of 32 bit libraries/compatiblities is not part of the ubuntu support system. That is 3rd party software, let the installer be ware and as the disclaimer says .. not for the soft at heart, breakage can and does occur.

Situation that is at hand> Why do you need "ia32-libs" available on your system? Knowing that maybe we can see about what it will take to do that.
    Are you still on version 12.04 or have you upgraded to a later version ?

Now the good stuff, Developers are working very hard on multi-arch support.
    Take a look in 13.10 repositories and see if the application you want is available as <package_name>.i386. If it is maintained, just "sudo apt-get install" and it is a done deal ! But, got to be running version 13.10 to do this the easy way !

where there is a will there is a way
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast