Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which torrent client do you use and why ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Which torrent client do you use and why ?

Hi, I have in the past used Deluge, Transmission, Ktorrent, and Vuze. Then I came to know about qbittorrent. My line speed is not that great. Its only 1 Mbps. My findings are that qbittorrent is the fastest in two ways. One, the app itself is quite light in comparison to Ktorrent and Vuze and second, after starting a download qbittorrent connects to the peers and seeders much faster than the other clents. Also as we all know in torrent downloads the speed gradually increases. I have seen that qbittorrent is the fastest in this area also. No torrent client can exceed the line speed but the question is which client utilizes the line speed the most.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; October 22nd, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
    Lubuntu 16.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

transmission, ktorrent, btpd

I'm using transmission right now, but that's mostly because it is default in Lubuntu. Of course, ktorrent is much more flexible. I liked the scheduling for that one. I've also used btpd but that is more involved to set up, it's light weight though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Which torrent client do you use and why ?

Using Transmission. While I was using KDE, had used Ktorrent.

For simply downloading, I am fine with Transmission, thats all I want. Use it both with Ubuntu Gnome & Debian 7.2
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Smile Re: Which torrent client do you use and why ?

I use Transmission because it has an encryption mode, so my ISP can't see what I'm downloading.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

KTorrent because that's the default client of Kubuntu. I don't do very complicated stuff with torrent clients just seeding some Linux isos and shows.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

transmission cause it is there and it works, if i setup a windows install (after last time i never want to do that again, took 2 full days to get done curtsy of windows updates being slower than a snail) i slap utorrent on there
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you're comfortable with the command line ctorrent is about as lightweight as they come. It appears to be in the repositories.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I use Ktorrent although I have used qbittorrent in the past too, and liked it. Ktorrent has a simple to use import feature, and allows me to turn DHT on/off per torrent, rather than as a global setting. If qbittorrent has these features now I might take another look at it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    transmission cause it is there and it works, if i setup a windows install (after last time i never want to do that again, took 2 full days to get done curtsy of windows updates being slower than a snail) i slap utorrent on there
    I used uTorrent in Windows until they sold out and started bundling it with adware, and a buy version called uTorrent Plus. There is an unofficial Windows version of Transmission called Transmission-Qt Win on Sourceforce. I'm using that at the moment.

I really only use torrent to download Linux ISOs because web mirrors are too slow.

Beans

I used transmission for years but it does not work with the gnome3 ppa's (it writes randomly named files and directories in your home dir!) so I have been using qbitorrent nowadays and find it excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast