Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ViewSonic Monitor driver help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ViewSonic Monitor driver help?

So today was the first time turning on my laptop in little over a week!?!? Yeah I know <---- anyways my question to you all is after I did all these updates for Ubuntu 13.10 I plugged up my corded keyboard, my wireless mouse, and my ViewSonic monitor up to my laptop Lenovo T61. Now at first I thought it was resetting itself due to the update, well about after the 3rd time in a row I figured okay something is going on. Anyway after I shut off my computer I unplugged anything and turned it back on. So I connected the mouse first it was fine everything was working okay, connected the keyboard same thing working fine also. Finally I connect the monitor and wouldn't you know it my computer freezes and reboots again. So I came to the conclusion that it's my monitor that's making it do all this and I was just wondering if anyone had the same problem and how do you fix it? I've already been to the ViewSonic website and looked up my monitor but it only has drivers and such for windows and mac..... NO LINUX??? Help please.

Beans

Re: ViewSonic Monitor driver help?

What model Viewsonic monitor are we talking about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    What model Viewsonic monitor are we talking about?

It's a ViewSonic VX2753MH-LED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So can anyone shed any light on this? Now I have another issue not sure if it has to do with the monitor but now every time I turn my computer on I have this message that says "Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors"

Error: on line 1 char 1: Document must begin with an element

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe the monitor configuration is stored in ~/.config/monitors.xml. You could either look at the file to see if there's an obvious problem with it or just rename it to something else. A new one will be generated the next time you set your resolution.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not my resolution that is the problem. It's the screen itself. Once I plug up my monitor to my laptop it appears to work just fine but after a minute or two the screen goes black and then my laptop resets itself. And keeps doing so until I unplug the monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors." That's where the configuration for monitors is stored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It says permission denied? Do you think this has anything to do with my graphics card or maybe my BIOS? I tried connecting to 2 other monitors that I own and the same thing happens...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It shouldn't do; you should be able to fiddle with almost everything in your Home directory. Perhaps that's the source of your problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

are you certain that is the way its supposed to be typed? ~/.config/monitors.xml
    I asked my friend to look into it for me since he has more time than I do but he said that the command did not do anything for him? Just making sure it's right before I do something else as my last resort which i hope it doesn't have to come down to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast