Thread: Rock of Gibraltar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Thumbs up Rock of Gibraltar

I'm tired of reading reviews of 13.10 with adjectives such as "ehhh" and "ajum". As a refugee from Windows country, the land of BSOD, I like stability. I sleep good knowing that my PC will turn on in the AM, and then will work all day long without having to reboot every other half hour because the OS is full of ca-ca.

My guess is that reviewers are too spoiled, never having to deal with a HDD disappearing with all ur data because NTLDR is missing all of a sudden (an OS mishap) otherwise they would heap praise to the high heavens for the stability that Ubuntu (and other GNU-Linux distros) represent.

My advice to Shuttleworth (besides my gratitude) is to rename the Ubuntu versions with a name that is proud of its reliability, such as, for instance: Rock Of Gibraltar v-I, v-II, v-III ... etc.

When its time for new bells and whistles (and in this department Ubuntu is no slouch) or other designs innovations then let the reviewers figure them out. If there might be a better way, kudos for giving it the ol' college try! (cough, MIR, cough) that is what REAL innovation is about. At the very least, we will have a choice as to which is better (IMO).

Three Cheers for Ubuntu 13.10!!!
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Rock of Gibraltar

The state of Linux and FOSS journalism is pretty awful. It seems divided between blatant cheerleading and blatant amateur tabloidism.

Most so-called reviews I come across are just quick feature tallies plus complaints about some personal annoyance penned by an ill-infomed blogger. Someone gets out front with the meme-of-the-day and everyone else just piles on. The current meme about 13.10 seems to be that it is not sufficiently revolutionary. (Of course, changing things is also a grievous sin in the eyes of the Linux peanut gallery.)

Readers often don't help because so many of them confuse "I like what he likes!" with "That's a brilliant, factual review!".
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; October 23rd, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Rock of Gibraltar

Indeed. At least the more helpful ones likes webupd8 actually suggest ways to make the new versions of systems better, and contribute to the projects...
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U