View Poll Results: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

13 20.97%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

14 22.58%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 27.42%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

8 12.90%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans

Angry Re: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

I installed 13.10 immediately it became available. I have been running Ubuntu for a number of years and find it a great system. However, I had many problems with 13.10. to the extent that I reformatted my computer, and reloaded 13.04, which is again running just fine.

This experience hasn't put me off Ubuntu, but I am reluctant to try 13.10 again, just yet.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

I just upgraded 13.04 to 13.10 on an Intel desktop for my wife Amanda to use. When I logged on the machine I was presented with the option to upgrade and I thought what the heck might as well go with the current release. So far everything seems in perfect working order and the new release is noticeably faster. The refinements to Unity in 13.10 are nice too. This is the first time I have ever gone with an upgrade like this. Normally I would have went with a clean install but I did not have any disks and I have read a few posts about successful upgrades and thought why not give it a try.

I have not gone through and checked everything yet because Amanda was really wanting on the computer, she destroyed both our laptops.... Amanda is a Windows 7 user but the machine I put a clean install of Windows 7 install on was giving her nothing but grief. Windows kept freezing up constantly and the machine was more than powerful enough to run Windows 7. I figured maybe she would be happy with the latest Ubuntu release rather than the 12.04 install my desktop has because it looks more refined and it is pretty quick.

This is my first look at 13.10 and I like it but I am waiting for 14.04 to upgrade my desktop. I have a lot of data on my machine, 12.04 has been very reliable and I have not had any real issues with it worth mentioning. Everything works and I have the current versions of the apps I use most thanks to ppa repos so I am content to wait for the new LTS to come out in April. Anyway, my upgrade experience was very good and hopefully my wife will be happy running Linux this time around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@ d-cosner: using the upgrade option on the live iso is also an excellent way to upgrade...i have used it several times and i find it very reliable...
    You can read about my experience with that here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+great+upgrade

Glad to hear you had an excellent experience with the update manager way of doing it...sounds like that is also becoming more reliable as well...
    Last edited by craig10x; December 1st, 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

update manager to 13.10. smooth as silk, not a problem.
    Just remember to update the system prior, disable the 3rd party repos and disable the screen saver.

piece of cake
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I did a straight upgrade on my second machine, and by the time it rebooted into my desktop, it was like nothing had changed. Very pleased with this experience. I took it from 13.04 to 13.10 running Gnome 3.10 without having to so much as reconfigure startup applications - including the ones coming from third-party sources. = )
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!

I upgraded from 13.04 to 13.10 without any major issues. Everything seems to work fine except VMware workstation 9.0.2 failed to compiled, but no problem now since there was an update 9.0.3 came out and fixed it. Sometimes when first login I got an apport error and ask me to send bug report and I did, but it's not a biggie. I get my work done the way I wanted and I'm a happy camper.
    shd

Beans
    Distro

I have been using the upgrade option on the live session iso installer for upgrading to the next version of ubuntu and it has worked really well...however, i am considering doing it using the Update Manager when 14.04 is final released next April....

Two questions:

1) How soon after a final release does it usually pop up on Update Manager?

2) I do have my software sources set to notify me when a new version is available but i was just wondering, in case it doesn't come up automatically in the update manager, what is the terminal command you use to prompt it to come up in update manager? (i am talking about upgrading to each new final release not into the next development version)...

Hope someone can let me know...i want to make a note of it for when i do my next upgrade
    Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I have been using the upgrade option on the live session iso installer for upgrading to the next version of ubuntu and it has worked really well...however, i am considering doing it using the Update Manager when 14.04 is final released next April....
    Out of my own curiosity, how well does the iso upgrader method do with system running multiple desktops?
    (ie gnome, or xfce, along with unity)

I know the networky upgrade method upgrades those as well, but not sure how the disk upgrader does.

For the record, I've successfully net-upgraded two from ringtail to salamander, with no errors.
    (Well, at least no errors that are apparent yet)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Well I tried to install 13.10 32bit on my Dell DXP061 (Dimension 9200 C2D), and it was a disaster...
    the install wizard will get stuck at installation of module kernel bcmw...

so I resorted to Mint Petra 16 32bit, and its install went flawless...

nothing more frustating to an end-user than failed installs...

though ubuntu installs (12.04, 13.04 and 13.10 amd64s) went fine on a Tablet, the Acer W500, running off fast mem sticks and sdcards...

Beans
    Distro

@deadflowr: I only run Ubuntu (and don't multi boot with either windows or other linux distros) so not sure how the iso installer upgrade does with multiple systems installed...however, i think it only offers the option if you run only 1 ubuntu...if the option is offered, then it will probably do ok...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast