View Poll Results: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

13 20.97%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

14 22.58%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 27.42%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

8 12.90%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @deadflowr: I only run Ubuntu (and don't multi boot with either windows or other linux distros) so not sure how the iso installer upgrade does with multiple systems installed...however, i think it only offers the option if you run only 1 ubuntu...if the option is offered, then it will probably do ok...
    No, I get the iso is meant for a single distro based machine.
    I mean how does it handle upgrading systems with multiple desktop environments and window managers?
    I know it is built to upgrade the default unity, but what about a system which might also have gnome-shell installed?
    Or any number of the other DE and WM out there.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I recently upgraded a VirtualBox VM from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 and it really was a flawless experience. I use the Gnome Classic desktop and I didn't notice any visual difference after rebooting. Had to type uname into the terminal to see that I was using the new kernel. The same VM was also upgraded from Quantal to Raring before without any issues. Granted I don't do that much with that particular VM so there is not so much to break.

Beans

I would like to share 2 items here.

1. I installed Ubuntu 13.10 for my Dad on a Thinkpad(The battery is not work any more), and one day, the power was off when updating with "Software Updater", so the system was shutdown suddenly, and when reboot, the touchpad cannot work, and cannot connect to the internet with wireless either.

So I connected it to the internet with wired cable, then re-started the updating process with a USB mouse, when finished, the issue was fixed.

2. I've encounterred several time that system time just disappeared from the top system bar, and will present itself after reboot - Not fixed yet
    Last edited by cooleagel2; December 7th, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Wrong description

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My setup uses UEFI/GPT. The first install froze while installing grub. I booted into the live desktop and installed from there and it worked flawlessly. Go figure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm absurdly, ludicrously, and pointlessly happy to be able to boot my Ubuntu laptop with Secure Boot enabled. = D
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Upgrade - worked flawlessly. on 2 desktops and one server.

But on the laptop (hp realteck wifi) i lost the connection throw wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thumbs up Re: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

I must admit I haven't used or even tried Ubuntu for a few years now. Ever since the move to Pulseaudio and it's conrlict with my M-audio sound card. In other distros with a little tweaking ( mostly removing or disabling Pulseaudio) I could get sounds up and running. But Ubuntu only saw it as a digital device with no analogue.

Any way after a protracted break and the fear of the new nasty desktop environment.... "worse than Gnome 3".... I was having issues with my recent flavour (openSUSE) and took the plunge to give 13.10 a go. WOW!!!! what a revelation!!! I love it. My soundcard (very important for me) is configured correctly out of the box! The Unity desktop.... I love it!!! I think it's so much better thought out than either windows 8.1 or Android. I bet it is amazing to use on a touch screen. In fact there are absolutely no complaints at all and I'm a kde man. My beloved Amarok and k3b both look stunning and work well. I'm convinced firefox is faster than on any other distro or windows install I've ever used.

Oh and no-one is paying me to say this

Beans

I recently went from 12.10 to 13.04 to 13.10. I hit a huge problem at 13.04 where after the restart all keyboard and mouse input was unresponsive (I believe this has already been logged as a bug). Luckily I was able to download the 13.10 ISO from a different computer and continue the upgrade that way. After that, I had no problems aside from certain applications that were uninstalled.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I have upgraded 6 computers now from 13.04 to 13.10 and all but one have been problem free. The computer I had a problem with was not really an upgrade issue, it had NVidea on-board graphics that the open source drivers just did not work well with... I had an NVidea GT 220 just sitting in a drawer so I installed it in the problem machine and everything works great now. I do not play any graphics demanding games and I prefer to use open source drivers because Plymouth always dispays right using tham. Also, I never seem to have any problems with kernel updates messing up the video drivers.

The only bug I have seen on all of these installs was the redundant restart entry in the menu but that is extremely minor and it only takes all of 3 mouse clicks to fix. All of the computers I have upgraded have been problem free and have been in use for quite a while with the exception of the one I had the problem with. I have been on the computer with the GT 220 since last night and have not encountered any problems so far. I did make some changes in the BIOS for the graphics card because I did get a black screen once with nothing but a cursor but I believe the problem is solved now.

I have done the upgrade from the update manager on all of these computers, they all have different graphics cards and all of them boot quick and are running nice and smooth. In the past when I used proprietary graphics drivers my boot time was no where near as quick and I am happy with the quality of the various open source graphics drivers. In the past I always did a clean install of new releases but Canonical and everyone participating in development have done a fine job of testing the upgrade path. Overall quality of Ubuntu releases has improved by leaps and bounds since Canonical set out on their own developing Unity.

I am really looking forward to 14.04 and the work I have seen so far looks very good!

Beans

Being a complete newbie, having only used Xubuntu 13.04 since the late summer of 2013 and being far from an 'early adopter', I have been putting off upgrading for as long as possible. In part this was due to a sense of impending doom caused by me following the multiplicity of threads generated by users with various matters arising.

With the impending end of support for 13.04 I took the plunge and I am pleased to be able to report that, apart from a couple of minor glitches, all went reasonably smoothly.

The method I used was to create a bootable USB stick using the UnetBootin utility and clicking the upgrade option, i.e leaving my Home folder untouched and not formatting anything. Lo and behold even my Firefox bookmarks and stored passwords survived intact!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast