View Poll Results: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

13 20.97%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

14 22.58%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 27.42%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

8 12.90%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

5 8.06%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Share with us your Saucy (13.10) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Greetings,
    I upgraded my Raring Disk to Saucy Final but used the last Saucy Daily iso. On this one I had to reinstall my non default software which is no big deal. I use separate partitions for boot, root, usr, and home. I only formated the boot and root so I retained all of my settings and my Claws mail came back just like the original. Good experience. In addition I upgraded my Saucy Disk to Trusty by changing the repos. I actually like Trusty so much that I think I will use it as my main distro and keep the Saucy for backup.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@rrnbtter: yeah, that is what i have been using (the upgrade option from the iso installer) and been getting much the same results as you...and so did a friend of mine that used same...seems to be that method is quite reliable at this point in time...highly recommended!

Beans

Well, the upgrade process crashed but on a reboot 13.10 came up though with many messages about connecting to HAL. Rebooting after removing HAL and reinstalling it went smoothly. Logging in the first time to each user account gave lots of error messages but unity/gnome-shell/KDE still came up and logging in the second time was smooth. So I think it's all running OK.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Well, I now have two installs of Trusty. I copied /var/cache/apt/archives from my Trusty installation over to the Saucy disk that I had upgraded from Raring just to save internet bandwidth. Then I installed the Trusty repos and did the dist-upgrade and now have Trusty on both drives. I don't know what I gain from this unless perhaps a dev update crashes. This seems unlikely since Canonical now supports running dev as a main OS and plus Trusty is an LTS. Just for safety's sake I'm keeping pre-release off line. FYI

@craig10x - Yes, the upgrade process works better but I suggest the anyone planning to run upgrades avoid a single partition install. Also a separate boot partition for a Win/Ubuntu setup works well since I can upgrade and even reinstall without tampering with the boot partition that is home for the Windows MBR. I use boot/400Meg root/7gig usr/15gig and all the rest for /home. I don't have a clue how this would work with the later UEFI chipsets.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

I had Fedora 19 dual-booting with Windows 8.1 on my uEFI machine. Fedora understood uEFI well enough to at least function. Then I thought I would try Debian. Fail! Debian's support of uEFI is buggy and non-functional. The community had a lot of "work-around" tips. My work-around solution was to try Ubuntu 13.10. Yay!

I'm happy to say that 13.10 handled my uEFI dual-boot with Windows 8.1 with no problem. I did disable the secure boot. But other than that... very nice!

Beans

I tried the upgrade,- it failed. couldn't boot up and I eventually found out after some digging that I needed to run Boot Repair to get everything working again. (after reinstalling/ reupgrading, and eventually formatting the partition).

Bit of a crappy experience I have to say, especially as 13.04 was working great. You'da thought the upgrade would have just left settings like Grub alone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by higltypig-e View Post
    I tried the upgrade,- it failed. couldn't boot up and I eventually found out after some digging that I needed to run Boot Repair to get everything working again. (after reinstalling/ reupgrading, and eventually formatting the partition).

Bit of a crappy experience I have to say, especially as 13.04 was working great. You'da thought the upgrade would have just left settings like Grub alone.
    Just out of curiousity...which upgrade method did you use? The software updater option to upgrade or the live iso cd installer's option to upgrade?

The reason i am asking is because i use the option to upgrade on the iso installer...and my experiences have been very good...but i know most use the software updater upgrade method and my impression is that THAT method is very hit and miss...

Beans

I tried both upgarde and fresh installation. Both were smooth but I did expereince problems after that. The new version of Unity is buggy. I have rolled back to 13.04 as I think it is more stable.

Beans

Then I first attempted to upgrade from 13.04, the update-manager crashed.

But after many attempts it worked.

Other than that, this upgrade seems to be working extremly fine.

I have not encountered any errors at all, so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Since upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10 i am happy to report that i have had no problems except i could not upgrade i had to do a fresh install which is recommended so am a happy chappy nothing to complain about and i hope it stays that way thank you canonical (ubuntu team another excellent distro)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast