Thread: Ubuntu HTPC Suggestions

Beans

Ubuntu HTPC Suggestions

Android seems to be the rage these days and I see a ton of these under $100 Android boxes that can be used as a HTPC ( eg http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight...2&keywords=nuc )

I'm just wondering, is there a similar type of device that I can install Ubuntu on as that is my OS of choice. I would also like to be able to use it as a cheap PC and have VLC installed.

Thank you

Beans

Re: Ubuntu HTPC Suggestions

I suggest XBMC as an easy HTPC frontend. I know you wanted to use VLC but with XBMC you can play pretty much anything, and it stores a database of your movies/tv shows/music etc with a list of information relating to the video such as director/star ratings/actors/synopsis and it's fairly customisable too, and snappy!

Beans

Thanks bsf, I should have clarified, XBMC will be the frontend, but I do need VLC on whatever device I do end up buying for a function outside of XBMC.

I just can't seem to find a cheap Ubuntu box that I can buy for this function.

Beans

Not sure if I'm allowed to post external links here but these are available in AUD for cheap and not bad (copied from another forum)..

Case: Silverstone ML03 - $75 Note that this case only supports low profile (half-height) expansion cards
    PSU: Corsair VS350 ATX - $39
    CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 - $45
    Alternatively, for a little extra grunt, Intel Pentium G2020 – $65.00
    Motherboard: ASRock B75 Pro3-M – $62
    RAM: Corsair VS2GB1333D3 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 - $22
    HDD: WD Blue 500GB - $59
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics at 650MHz
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS SATA DVDRW - $22
    TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast DTV Dongle Gold - $29
    Total: $353