Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't recognize second Ethernet card TAP-Win32 Provider OAS

Beans

Smile Can't recognize second Ethernet card TAP-Win32 Provider OAS

Hi, I'm running Win 7, and I tried to add one more Ethernet Card for testing in Virtualbox, I have old one (TAP-Win32 Provider OAS - I don't remember name of card but I see it in Device Manager), so I use it for testing. My trouble is Win 7 & Virtualbox recognize it, but when in Debian 7 / Ubuntu Server and Desktop 13.04/13.10 - it show that the eth DOWN, I had tried to ifup, and just plugin the second one, but it still don't auto get the ip from DHCP.

I don't know the problem by my old Card or from Ubuntu, if from my card, I'll buy new thing, but if from server, I hope can solve it. Thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't recognize second Ethernet card TAP-Win32 Provider OAS

Hello tommysmith2, and Welcome to the forums !

Have you checked if the card has a driver associated with it? Please show us the outputs of -
    Code:
    uname -mr
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    ifconfig -a
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    nm-tool
    While posting the outputs, please use the 'Code' box. It preserves its formatting and makes your post cleaner, compact and more readable. Follow the "Using Code Tags" link in my signature to see how.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Hello tommysmith2, and Welcome to the forums !

Have you checked if the card has a driver associated with it? Please show us the outputs of -
    Code:
    uname -mr
    ifconfig -a
    nm-tool
    While posting the outputs, please use the 'Code' box. It preserves its formatting and makes your post cleaner, compact and more readable. Follow the "Using Code Tags" link in my signature to see how.

Thanks Varunedra for your help This is sreenshot from virtualbox running Ubuntu Server 13.10 I had took, and the Code too:

Code:
    uname -mr

3.11.0-12-generic x86_64
    Code:

00:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet C
    ontroller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
            Kernel driver in use: e1000
    --
    00:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet C
    ontroller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
            Kernel driver in use: e1000
    Code:
    ifconfig -a

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:e5:97:24
              inet addr:192.168.10.32  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fee5:9724/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:2713 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:49 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:257662 (257.6 KB)  TX bytes:8050 (8.0 KB)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:d1:52:6a
              inet addr:192.168.10.36  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fed1:526a/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:3460 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:751 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:1108949 (1.1 MB)  TX bytes:70617 (70.6 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Code:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    Code:
    nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: eth1 ------------------------------------
      Type:              Wired
      Driver:            e1000
      State:             unmanaged
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        08:00:27:D1:52:6A

Capabilities:
        Carrier Detect:  yes
        Speed:           1000 Mb/s

Wired Properties
        Carrier:         on

- Device: eth0 ------------------------------------
      Type:              Wired
      Driver:            e1000
      State:             unmanaged
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        08:00:27:E5:97:24

Capabilities:
        Carrier Detect:  yes
        Speed:           1000 Mb/s

Wired Properties
        Carrier:         on
    Ah, this is the result from my new NIC, I can't waiting so I had buy a new one, but it's still have some trouble => Server can see too NIC but can't "use" two NIC.

It's mean I had testing in Win 7, new NIC can running ok, I also had setting 2 NIC in VirtualBox with 2 "Bridged Adapter" for 2 NIC; the Server Ubuntu (Desktop - Server) / Debian/ Centos can see, and I can ping two IP setting with DHCP for 2 eth0 & eth1. However, when I tried to ifdown eth0/eth1 (The Ethernet I set for NIC Onboard), it's can ping to the Internet, but If I down the New NIC, so server can running the other onboard NIC

I also had testing just using the New NIC Bridged Adapter, it's can running ok, the problem just happend when I down the onboard NIC, I don't know why !?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Sorry I'm not sure I understand this part correctly -
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysmith2 View Post
    However, when I tried to ifdown eth0/eth1 (The Ethernet I set for NIC Onboard), it's can ping to the Internet, but If I down the New NIC, so server can running the other onboard NIC

I also had testing just using the New NIC Bridged Adapter, it's can running ok, the problem just happend when I down the onboard NIC, I don't know why !?!
    ..so please confirm if this is what you mean to say -

1) You have got both your ethernet interfaces working by replacing the add-on card (the New one).

2) You have also successfully bridged them to the virtualbox virtual adapters.

3) The network, the Internet, and the bridging in virtualbox - all work fine when both interfaces are "UP". So no problem so far.

4) The network and Internet keep working when you "Down" the add-on (the New one) NIC. So no problem even in that case..

5) However, you can not access the internet as soon as you "Down" the onboard NIC !

Please confirm if the above are correct or not. Please correct whichever is wrong.

If all the above assumptions are true, I believe the local network keeps working when the onboard NIC is disabled (only the internet stops working). Is this correct too?

If all of this is true, then I think I may have an easy solution for you, just post back the output of -
    Code:
    route -n
    Varun

Beans

Thanks you Varunendra, but when I tried several tens of testing, it's hack my mind @@

1) You have got both your ethernet interfaces working by replacing the add-on card (the New one).
    Yes, my new NIC working both on Win 7 and in Virtualbox (Ubuntu & Centos) with testing in both Adapter 1 &2.

2) You have also successfully bridged them to the virtualbox virtual adapters.
    Yes, I choose "Bridged Adapter" in Network in turn Adapter 1 & 2 and working fine.

3) The network, the Internet, and the bridging in virtualbox - all work fine when both interfaces are "UP". So no problem so far.
    Yes, when Bridaged Adapter 1&2 with same New NIC or 1 New & 1 Old - All working fine (testing ping google.com) when they UP.

4) The network and Internet keep working when you "Down" the add-on (the New one) NIC. So no problem even in that case..
    Yes and....Noop, this is hacking my mind @@ sometime they can ping, some time they can't when I tried DOWN them with many cases I had tested. I think this is mistake by Virtualbox, not NIC, I tried with 2 Adapter 1-2 : Same Old, Same New, Old-New, New-Old with Ubuntu and CentOS. However, the funny thing is sometime when I DOWN one NIC (whatever New or Old), they can ping but sometime they can't ping (unknow host) and they can different result with CentOS when I testing

5) However, you can not access the internet as soon as you "Down" the onboard NIC !
    Not really. The reason above ^^

If all the above assumptions are true, I believe the local network keeps working when the onboard NIC is disabled (only the internet stops working). Is this correct too?
    I had testing when take out the cable Onboard NIC - the Old one, the internet or network still working fine, I think it switch in New NIC.

If all of this is true, then I think I may have an easy solution for you, just post back the output of -
    Code:
    route -n

This is the result in Adapter 1 - Old , Adapter 2 - New:

Code:
    Kernel IP routing table

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    0.0.0.0         192.168.10.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    192.168.10.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    192.168.10.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so some things cleared up, and something new came out of the picture. Please confirm these -

1) You have only Windows running as "Host". All the other operating systems (Ubuntu/Centos/Debian etc.) you are talking about are "Guests" running inside Virtual Machines on virtualbox.

2) When you say "Up" or "Down" NIC, you mean the "Virtual" adapters "Inside" virtualbox, not the physical ones in your physical box.

3) There is No Fixed Pattern or Case about when they would work or when they won't, when "Any" one of them is down. Means - If you disable (down) eth0, the guest sometimes stays connected to Interned, sometimes not. Same when you disable eth1.

4) It Does Not matter which "Physical" NIC (or NICs) you have bridged eth0 and eth1 to. The above behaviour remains the same.

I hope I am understanding your problem a little better this time. Earlier, I thought you were talking about "Host" OSes, not guests.

Please provide some more description on how you have bridged the virtualbox adapters, and post screenshots (cropped to make it small) showing the two adapters' settings as well. For example, my virtual adapter 1 is attached to "eth0" -

And, IF I'm understanding correctly this time, you may have to keep a record of different cases when Internet does not work "in the Guest", and the output of "route -n" command corresponding to each case. I may need to look at them if a general approach doesn't work.

PS:
    Reading and understanding this post may help you understanding the routing table and its behaviour a little better, and may lead you to the solution you need.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by varunendra; October 24th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Varun

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Can't recognize second Ethernet card TAP-Win32 Provider OAS

Thanks your link, I'm not read all yet, but it can help something more clearly
    1) You have only Windows running as "Host". All the other operating systems (Ubuntu/Centos/Debian etc.) you are talking about are "Guests" running inside Virtual Machines on virtualbox.

Yes, I'm running Win 7 for "Host", and other Linux OS for "Guest" in Virtualbox
    Ah, one extend question I see Virtualbox have funtion copy/paste switch Host vs Guest, but even I had checked it, I'm still can't copy code between them, so I had using putty to ssh for copy/paste code, I don't know I had missing something not check yet !?!

2) When you say "Up" or "Down" NIC, you mean the "Virtual" adapters "Inside" virtualbox, not the physical ones in your physical box.

Yes, I just using ifdown and ifup inside Linux Virutalbox, not in real NIC cable in Host.

3) There is No Fixed Pattern or Case about when they would work or when they won't, when "Any" one of them is down. Means - If you disable (down) eth0, the guest sometimes stays connected to Interned, sometimes not. Same when you disable eth1.

Oh, it's really not, after I read your topic, I know why "sometime" happend When I Down an eth0(1) and it's "sometime" cut off network because I Down the eth0 bridged with reach gateway when I checked in route -n.

But the crazy is when I restart (init 6) Ubuntu, it's still have same route configurations, it's mean don't change the eth (ex: eth0) reach with gateway, but if I "restart" (init 0), shutdown and turn on Ubuntu, it change the eth (become eth1) connect with gateway and make me thing "sometime" it's crazy cauze I don't realize it's different between restart and shutdown @@

4) It Does Not matter which "Physical" NIC (or NICs) you have bridged eth0 and eth1 to. The above behaviour remains the same.

Yes, when I change NICs in Adapter 1&2, it's still have same situation with above.

V2.pngV1.png
    So the Myth is just I don't understand why the eth connect gateway different in "restart" and "shutdown" =]]
    Last edited by tommysmith2; October 24th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tommysmith2 View Post
    I see Virtualbox have funtion copy/paste switch Host vs Guest, but even I had checked it, I'm still can't copy code between them, so I had using putty to ssh for copy/paste code, I don't know I had missing something not check yet !?!
    Generally, you just have to install "Guest Additions" (Devices > "Install Guest Additions.." from the menu of a running virtual machine) within the guest OS to get that functionality. It is like installing the drivers for the 'virtual hardware' the virtual machine provides. You should also know that it allows only copy-pasting of "Text" between host and guest, not objects. For object sharing, you can create a "Shared Folder" between host and guest, which also requires the Guest Additions to be installed. If this doesn't answer your above question, or you are having problem installing Guest Additions, you should ask your question in a different thread under Virtualisation section.

when I restart (init 6) Ubuntu, it's still have same route configurations, it's mean don't change the eth (ex: eth0) reach with gateway, but if I "restart" (init 0), shutdown and turn on Ubuntu, it change the eth (become eth1) connect with gateway and make me thing "sometime" it's crazy cauze I don't realize it's different between restart and shutdown @@
    To be honest, I am not sure either, maybe it is the 'DHCP cache' thing. But you can always use "route add default gw <gateway IP>" command to manually add a gateway route using whichever interface is left up. Or you can use manual IP/gateway assignment to both interfaces. I *think* that automatically takes care of it.

As a last and ugliest resort, you can create a script to automatically take care of it depending upon whichever interface is left. If you need help with that, I would need the output of route -n for all the cases to make sure the script is perfect.
    Varun

Beans

Cool, it's working to add gateway for second eth when down the interface that reach the gateway.

Ah, actually, when I know sometime I can't ping by down an interface which reached gateway, I think it normally, jut up it. However, when I think what happen if that interface really down or crash in the reality, so the other interface remain will not auto replace the broken one and auto reach the gateway ?

The route -n it's same above :

Code:
    Kernel IP routing table

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    0.0.0.0         192.168.10.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    192.168.10.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    192.168.10.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

Beans
    Distro

If you want the second interface to automatically take over the route to the gateway in case when the first one crashes, just assign manual IP and gateway to both. I tested that here with manually assigned IPs in virtualbox, and it works the same way.

Although I don't see why it shouldn't happen with DHCP assigned IPs as well. Maybe the DHCP offers the gateway to both, but the system only 'Takes' it for the primary one.
    Varun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast