Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No sound or sound issues in Skype

Quote Originally Posted by mcsedave View Post
    Sorry, doesn't seem to work on my systems. Skype is not available on the Ubuntu or Canonical menu's under 'all Software'. It seemed to work fine until I upgraded to 13.10. Now I'm considering downgrading to 13.4. 13.10 has nothing for me. 13.10 also does not recognize my web cam / mike (MS 7000). I am on dual boot with Win 7 & Ubuntu on separate partitions. Every time that I boot to the other system, the system clock jumps 6 hours ahead. If one is concerned with the correct time coding of files etc. this could be a serious issue.
    If you're looking for a very stable system that will work on all of your equipment I'd go with Precise 12.04 LTS. It's good until April 2017. Then when Trusty Tahr, also an LTS, reaches 14.04.1 upgrade to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No sound or sound issues in Skype

Quote Originally Posted by mcsedave View Post
    Sorry, doesn't seem to work on my systems. Skype is not available on the Ubuntu or Canonical menu's under 'all Software'. It seemed to work fine until I upgraded to 13.10. Now I'm considering downgrading to 13.4. 13.10 has nothing for me. 13.10 also does not recognize my web cam / mike (MS 7000). I am on dual boot with Win 7 & Ubuntu on separate partitions. Every time that I boot to the other system, the system clock jumps 6 hours ahead. If one is concerned with the correct time coding of files etc. this could be a serious issue.
    You need to enable the Partner repo in software sources.

Beans

Re: 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) known bugs and work arounds

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1251915

In Unity Kde apps not recorded in the recently used lists in the dash. Workaround in the original bug report.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Broken sound indicator on the xfce panel [bug report]
    the workaround for this is the replace the Exec line of /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service with this line
    Code:
    Exec=/bin/sh -c 'if [ -n "$(ps -U $USER | grep xfce4-panel)" ]; then /usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service;else /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-sound/indicator-sound-service;fi'
    there is a installer for this workaround here (from comment #65)
    this has to be done every time the sound indicator is updated without a long term fix for this issue
    This workaround is specific to the 64bit version
    the workaround line for 32bit is this:
    Code:
    Exec=/bin/sh -c 'if [ -n "$(ps -U $USER | grep xfce4-panel)" ];  then /usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service;else  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/indicator-sound/indicator-sound-service;fi'
    A fix for 13.10 has been released. The workaround mentioned above is not necessary any more.
    Last edited by mörgæs; January 27th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I strongly hope I'm not beating up a dead horse here...

I noticed that in vanilla Lubuntu (no idea about "genuine" Ubuntu) there was no response at all on any SAK (e. g. Alt-PrtSc-K) -- dead as a doornail. So this will be a huge problem for you if something really goes all wonky and you want to force the system into logout (well, this occasionally happens here).

It turned out the keys were actually disabled in Lubuntu, and so was the whole keyboard control of the "Magic Keys"!!
    Old value was 176, JFTR.

Next step requires a true root shell. Not likely to work by 'sudoing' things.

Code:
    # echo 180 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

Technical explanation:
    When I counted the LSB as Bit 0, it occurred to me that Bit 2 was not set. (The latter, however, is mandatory for the SAK to work.)
    Original bitmask was $B0, but it must be $B0 OR $4, which is $B4 (180).
    (Wonder whoever got the creative idea of disabling this?? And WHY? I'll be damned if it wasn't another one of those security paranoiacs...)
    Lastly, if you want to get this change permanent: the value is stored in /etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; January 30th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.

Beans

After compiling PPSSPP (PSP emulator) I ran into the error

Code:
    nvidia libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
    libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
    X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest   
    Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX) 
      Minor opcode of failed request:  16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
    Serial number of failed request:  34   Current serial number in output stream:  35
    This was because of the nvidia drivers i was using. I worked around it by launching PPSSPPSDL like this:

Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/nvidia-current-updates/libGL.so.1" ./PPSSPPSDL
    Some people may need to use

Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/nvidia-current/libGL.so.1" ./PPSSPPSDL
    instead, because I am using possibly unstable, cutting edge drivers, not the certified stable ones.

This should apply to other programs as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234