Problem
After fresh installation of kubuntu i've got completely black screen instead of logon screen. I was able to switch to tty1 by using ctrl-alt-f1. No error messages on /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I was able to run kde session on tty8 by executing startx, but seems that opengl did not work. If instead of this kill Xorg process it starts again, sometimes successful.

Hardware
Lenovo thinkpad edge e420s with Intel HD Graphics 3000 video.

Temporary solution
If somebody encountered this problem solution that worked for me was to disable SNA hardware acceleration. You can check if it is active running
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep SNA
To disable SNA you need to create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder (let it be 20-intel.conf) with next lines:
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
and restart xserver (kill X.org process or reboot or ctrl-alt-Backspace).

Actually this may help you if you sometime have Xserver freezes with error [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle].

Question
Is it a bug? Who has the same problem (I assume that there is a lot of installation ubuntu 13.10 on low cost laptops with the same graphics, but it is not seem that all of them have the same error). Is it possible to make SNA work on HD Graphics 3000? Who has the same error, or who has no problems with SNA on the same videocard?