Thread: Ubuntu..printer drivers...how?

Beans

Ubuntu..printer drivers...how?

Hello I have 20 years exp in W$ and none in Linux!!! Tomorrow I will have a printer from a friend and I'll have to install it on my computer with Ubuntu 12.04 . How am I gonna install it, I mean drivers... I just connect it in a USB and that's all? Is it like W$? You search drivers on the net and press xxxxxx.EXE? I don't think so! Can someone give me few hints for the overall procedure. Just few "evident" words and I'll catch fast. But don't forget about evidence of these words anyway...I'm a Linux NEWBIE! But I catch fast! Thanks Luc Lacombe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu..printer drivers...how?

What brand and type is the printer?
    You will see tomorrow if it works out of the box or not.
    Via Systemsettings you can set up the printer. (I don't now how it is in English (Dutch system) but you will see there a icon of a printer.)
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HP printers usually work out of the box. Other models may do as well.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

depends on the brand
    typically having the computer on and connecting the USB plug is all you have to do to get a HP printer working, if it is HP and that fails google hplip you will need to install a newer version than 12.04 has stock
    for others go into the printer settings and click add nad go through the onscreen instructions, some drivers have a license agreement to accept so they don't auto install them
    if that fails go to the printer's manufacturer's website and see if you can find a .deb file or a .tar.gz/.tar.bz2, a deb is like a exe on windows, the others are like a .zip/.rar that will have a readme file with instructions
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

ant2 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're connecting up with a USB cable it will probably be painless. The last two printers I have used 'connected directly' just worked (with ubuntu). Other Linux OS's have taken a little work but generally my experiences have been good. Network printers have also worked but I didn't set those up personally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Like it has been asked before in this thread, you must tell us what Brand and Model the Printer you are trying to connect is.

Some Brands and Models have opensource drivers for Linux... some are a bit difficult to configure.
    As already mentioned, HP has very good support for Linux compared to others. Most of the HP printers just work when plugged in.
    Ubuntu comes pre-insalled with opensource printer drivers, so most printers should work out of the box.... but some do need some manual intervention.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My Epson Stylus Photo R300 just works when plugged in. It uses the CUPS drivers that are included in Ubuntu. With six colours I get a good quality print but it will not show the ink levels. You can install a utility from the Software Centre to do that.

I think that for some Canon printers you can get Linux drivers from their web-site.