Thread: Differences between Gnome 3.8 and 3.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Differences between Gnome 3.8 and 3.10

Can anyone advise me about the salient differences between Gnome 3.8 and 3.10? I've been using Unity for the past couple of years, and kind of by administrative fiat, when I upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10, I kind of shot right into Gnome 3.10. I really like the Gnome aesthetic (I like Unity too, for the record), but after adding the Gnome-next and Gnome-staging ppa's to my system, I have a wonderfully fun yet fundamentally unstable mess. Kind of like my first 4 girlfriends.

So I'm thinking about re-installing Ubuntu Gnome, and just sticking with 3.8. I already tried purging the gnome-staging ppa, and it left my computer a drooling mess, with more broken packages than you could shake a stick at. So I can do a re-install, NBD, but I want to know if Gnome 3.8 is fundamentally different than 3.10.

If the only difference is the core apps, I don't care. Gnome Weather doesn't even accept my location as a possibilty. hmph!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Differences between Gnome 3.8 and 3.10

The release notes have all the big changes
    https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I installed Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 & added the 'next' & 'staging' ppa's to get GS3.10.

It is only Gnome weather et al & aesthetics that are different . I don't know what is major difference under the hood. Nautilus is newer version thats it( Edit: It does not, I think).

Though the problems with 3.10, I am going along with it as they prove not fatal & gnome in my hardware gives less xruns when I run my UbuntuStudio audio programs.

Gnome 3.8 was far more stable but I for one, am not for ppa-purge after reading up your take on it
    Last edited by su:bhatta; November 1st, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you both for the informative answers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've used 3.10 on Fedora 20 alphas. It strikes me as an evolutionary step, not a dramatic leap. Gnome has its goals laid out and each release nudges things along.

After I add the extensions I favor, every release since 3.4 works and looks the same for me.

So, I'd certainly go with a clean 3.8 install and avoid the lure of the PPA's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I've used 3.10 on Fedora 20 alphas. It strikes me as an evolutionary step, not a dramatic leap. Gnome has its goals laid out and each release nudges things along.

After I add the extensions I favor, every release since 3.4 works and looks the same for me.

So, I'd certainly go with a clean 3.8 install and avoid the lure of the PPA's.
    Lack of available extensions is another problem of 3.10 that I am living with. 3.8 had 20-odd pages of extensions, whereas 3.10 has only 8 !

But got a working lappy.
    Last edited by su:bhatta; November 2nd, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !