Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop does not connect to any Wireless Network - rt2500pci

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Laptop does not connect to any Wireless Network - rt2500pci

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    amjjawad I received your pm I will give you a script to run shutdown the computer and remove the usb device boot back up then run the script, but I will let My good friend chili555 handle your issue since he is already helping you and as you know he is the best person for the task.
    Hi,

Yes, I know he is helping as well and I do appreciate that a lot but the reason why I sent you too is because this is not my laptop, it is for my neighbour and I should return it back ASAP and it is really bad this issue came to my way when I was trying to convert her after finally managed to convince her to get rid of Windows XP and install Linux. Now, this issue is not yet resolved and the laptop still with me for 3 days or more, I don't know what to tell her.

copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
     wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a file named (wireless-info.txt, or wireless-info.txt.tar.gz) in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back, click on the paper clip and attach the wireless-info.tar.gz file as a zip file.

If you do not have ethernet either then follow the directions at this link for running the script without internet.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12350385
    Thanks
    I don't have LAN Connection at the moment.

I will take a look at the link. Will report back, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

We hope you run the script with the USB detached.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    We hope you run the script with the USB detached.
    Believe it or not, the Laptop is now connected to the Wireless Network and I just did:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and it works O_o

NOT sure what happened? maybe the commands I ran did something? well, you are the boss, you know better than me when it comes to Networking issues

Do I need to run anything now? I will keep the laptop running until tomorrow morning and then give it back to her, she will be so happy

Is there any test I can run to make sure this issue won't happen again? just in case!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

You might shut it down completely; cold boot and see if it works. If it does work, I'd assume you are good to go!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    You might shut it down completely; cold boot and see if it works. If it does work, I'd assume you are good to go!
    Done and it is still working

Thank you so much everyone, really appreciate your help and support

http://i44.tinypic.com/2z8nq4w.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

I imagine shutting it down and removing the usb device then booting up is what allowed it to load the correct driver and finally work.
    Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    I imagine shutting it down and removing the usb device then booting up is what allowed it to load the correct driver and finally work.
    Good Luck!
    Could be, I am not quite sure what happened but the good news is, it works and I can't wait to see the smile on my neighbour face tomorrow

Just in case the same issue will come back, I will remove the SOLVED tag from this thread and seek your help yet again

Thanks a lot everyone!

Beans
    Distro

Hi again,

This is just to post some updates about the issue.

I took the laptop and went to my neighbour house. At first, it refused to connect to the Wireless Network but then, it got connected. But, same what happened with me, there was a connection between the laptop and the Wireless Network but without internet. After some reboot, same. I had to reboot the Router and only then, I got it to work so for now, it should be connected and has internet access

I wish you have seen what I did see
    She was SO MUCH dazzled and amazed by the speed. She admits her Core i3 (or i5?) machine is slower than this laptop which is from 2005 and she was extremely happy and shocked. I told her you have seen nothing, this is the real power of Linux. Not to mention when she opened her mouth and got shocked when she saw the laptops actually can be turned off in 2 seconds and get a working desktop in less than a minute

If there is something happen, I will update this thread. Thanks for everything, once more!

P.S.
    Out of curiosity, any idea why it got connected to the Wireless BUT WITHOUT internet connection until I rebooted the router?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

P.S.
    Out of curiosity, any idea why it got connected to the Wireless BUT WITHOUT internet connection until I rebooted the router?
    I haven't any idea. I do know that we see this from time to time; a problem that is magically cured by rebooting the router. I even had that issue with my ancient WRT54G once in a while. Imagine my shame when Mrs. Chili can't get a connection and is standing over me as I pound the keyboard and she's asking why the great and powerful chili555 can't get her Facebook!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12