Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trusty Tahr Release Schedule, Partial Upgrades and Common Questions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty Tahr Release Schedule, Partial Upgrades and Common Questions

Just a question probably a noobish one. What is the difference between a regular Ubuntu iso and a UbuntuGnome iso?
    I would suspect that UbuntuGnome iso comes with 1) Gnome Flashback (with compiz) 2) Gnome Flashback (with metacity) and 3) Gnome Shell without Unity.

While the Ubuntu iso just comes with Unity. Would that be correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not quite. It has Gnome Shell as default, of course, and Gnome Classic (Gnome Shell with some extensions to make it seem somewhat like Gnome 2) offered as a session option, but not Gnome Flashback, with or without 'effects' (compiz).

There is some different theming and such, and perhaps some other different default packages, but I'm not sure about that - I haven't used stock 'Unity' Ubuntu in a long time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Just a question probably a noobish one. What is the difference between a regular Ubuntu iso and a UbuntuGnome iso?
    I would suspect that UbuntuGnome iso comes with 1) Gnome Flashback (with compiz) 2) Gnome Flashback (with metacity) and 3) Gnome Shell without Unity.

While the Ubuntu iso just comes with Unity. Would that be correct?
    No. None of the iso's ship with GNOME Flashback, but it's installable during an Edubuntu installation.

Ubuntu GNOME has the Gnome Shell DE + the new GNOME Classic.

Ubuntu has only the Unity DE.

Flashback is installable post-installation in both Ubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME though:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Not quite. It has Gnome Shell as default, of course, and Gnome Classic (Gnome Shell with some extensions to make it seem somewhat like Gnome 2) offered as a session option, but not Gnome Flashback, with or without 'effects' (compiz).

There is some different theming and such, and perhaps some other different default packages, but I'm not sure about that - I haven't used stock 'Unity' Ubuntu in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    No. None of the iso's ship with GNOME Flashback, but it's installable during an Edubuntu installation.

Ubuntu GNOME has the Gnome Shell DE + the new GNOME Classic.

Ubuntu has only the Unity DE.

Flashback is installable post-installation in both Ubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME though:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682
    Thanks for the replies! I was about to get all excited, backup and do a fresh install of UbuntuGnome in Beta. I guess I still could.
    Not real fond of classic as no matter what I did cairo dock would remain behind the bottom panel. Although that could easily be a CCSM or cairo dock setting you just never know.

I don't know enough about the others to try them; always have been a generic Ubuntu kind of guy. But I do not like Unity; never have and never will. It wastes too much of my screen.
    I already have a very useful conky on the right side that VinDSL came up with so I like the rest of the screen for me.

Beans

Thanks for the replies! I was about to get all excited, backup and do a fresh install of UbuntuGnome in Beta. I guess I still could.
    Not real fond of classic as no matter what I did cairo dock would remain behind the bottom panel. Although that could easily be a CCSM or cairo dock setting you just never know.

I don't know enough about the others to try them; always have been a generic Ubuntu kind of guy. But I do not like Unity; never have and never will. It wastes too much of my screen.
    I already have a very useful conky on the right side that VinDSL came up with so I like the rest of the screen for me.
    CCSM would not be a problem in Ubuntu GNOME because 'compiz' is not even installed.

If you're interested in the "flashback sessions" you should either open a new thread or reply to mine

ATM it's more problematic in Ubuntu GNOME than it is in Ubuntu because or separating g-s-d and u-s-d

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    CCSM would not be a problem in Ubuntu GNOME because 'compiz' is not even installed.

If you're interested in the "flashback sessions" you should either open a new thread or reply to mine

ATM it's more problematic in Ubuntu GNOME than it is in Ubuntu because or separating g-s-d and u-s-d
    Oh yeah and don't install any meta-packages like gnome right?

Beans

Oh yeah and don't install any meta-packages like gnome right?
    The meta-package 'gnome' is basically the most compatible Debian version of GNOME and includes a load of stuff most users would not want or need.

That said some things have also changed with the separation of g-s-d from u-s-d so I'm still learning ................... but this is the wrong place to discuss it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

But I do not like Unity; never have and never will. It wastes too much of my screen.
    ? I don't like Unity, I use it because I'm looking for bugs.

I have the launcher icons size 32 and hidden at the left. Most of the time nowhere in sight.

Unity takes one line at the top of the screen.

All the rest of the screen is for me.

I also have a Chromebook, faster video than Ubuntu (!) even though the dual processors are slower than the dual processor Atom I'm using here. Chromebook takes 2 lines at the bottom of the screen, a little more than Unity. I use the same TV/monitor on both of them, 1280x720 for visibility.

BTW, on this testing forum,I install tahr every couple of weeks on my netbook, notebook, and tower. Last week of February tahr didn't support wireless on my netbook. It does now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity really doesn't waste any screen space if you auto hide it...i set mine to 38 pixels for my 17" laptop screen (which is my desktop) and the panel on top (because of it's "global menu" nature) does not steal any space when your browser is open and you are web surfing (even if you use the new 14.04 option of putting the menus back in application windows, which i do use now and love that new feature because it doesn't affect the top panel's normal behavior at all)...That is why i also can't understand Cavsfan's comments about unity wasting screen space...really guy, it doesn't...

In fact, because of those features, it is very space efficient
    Last edited by craig10x; March 6th, 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    ? I don't like Unity, I use it because I'm looking for bugs.

I have the launcher icons size 32 and hidden at the left. Most of the time nowhere in sight.

Unity takes one line at the top of the screen.

All the rest of the screen is for me.

I also have a Chromebook, faster video than Ubuntu (!) even though the dual processors are slower than the dual processor Atom I'm using here. Chromebook takes 2 lines at the bottom of the screen, a little more than Unity. I use the same TV/monitor on both of them, 1280x720 for visibility.

BTW, on this testing forum,I install tahr every couple of weeks on my netbook, notebook, and tower. Last week of February tahr didn't support wireless on my netbook. It does now.
    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Unity really doesn't waste any screen space if you auto hide it...i set mine to 38 pixels for my 17" laptop screen (which is my desktop) and the panel on top (because of it's "global menu" nature) does not steal any space when your browser is open and you are web surfing (even if you use the new 14.04 option of putting the menus back in application windows, which i do use now and love that new feature because it doesn't affect the top panel's normal behavior at all)...That is why i also can't understand Cavsfan's comments about unity wasting screen space...really guy, it doesn't...

In fact, because of those features, it is very space efficient
    Thanks for the insight! I'll take that into consideration and set it to auto hide if I get back into Unity. Also putting the menus back in application windows.
    Right now I'm riding an install from January 9th and everything is working fairly smooth so I am hanging on to it until final release. I'm not one to openly look for breakage.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast