Thread: installing adobe air on 13.10

Beans

installing adobe air on 13.10

I am an absolute beginner. Never worked with linux before this week. So maybe this has to be posted in "absolute beginner" forums.
    But I did search for answers to my question (how to install adobe air). None work in 13.10 now.
    Think I made a mistake upgrading (already had to rollback kernel to make wifi card work again and repair damaged boot after upgrade... but that happeded to be easy), but anyway.
    I installed kubuntu 13.04 x64 on brand new asus x502ca just two days ago, and I never worked with linux before. So I only began to set up working enviroinment, and everything was fine. Untill 13.10 just started to update without any questions and it was too late to scream "hey, what's the big deal? how about asking ME first?". Reboot.
    Notebook refused to find bootable hard drive. Okay, dealt with that. Wifi card (ralink ra5390) does not work on 3.11 kernel. Reinstal kernel on a system which I never seen two days ago? Solved.

Now. Problems begin here. In our work we I need a tool that requires adobe air. Actually, it's an ".air" application.
    google "adobe air ubuntu", find .deb package here.
    Code:
    root#dpkg -i adobeair_2*
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of adobeair:
     adobeair depends on ia32-libs-gtk; however:
      Package ia32-libs-gtk is not installed.

dpkg: error processing adobeair (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     adobeair
    Okay, so we need ia32-libs-gtk...
    Code:
    root# apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
    Package ia32-libs-gtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package 'ia32-libs-gtk' has no installation candidate
    Okay... google again. "install ia32-libs". Wow, they are deprecated too. And developers say we don't need those now, period.

Going to adobe site, finding their instructions. For Ubuntu 9.04 x64... oh well.
    Install getlibs-all.deb. Installed.
    Next.
    Code:
    root#getlibs -l libhal-storage.so.1
    E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate
    No match for libhal-storage.so.1
    No packages to install
    Guess somebody forgot to tell theese libs that we don't need ia32-libs now...
    Code:
    root#getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so.0.1.1
    E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate
    No match for libgnome-keyring.so.0.1.1
    No packages to install
    Does not work either.

Now...
    Download the 32-bit versions of libnss and libnspr from the following locations
    . Both links are broken.
    Guess guide is unusable now.

Register on forum... let's search the forum! Maybe someone already encountered this.
    Some topics are about wine. Guess that'll be my last resort.
    Some even say there's a version of adobe air in software center... Well, there is none in my "muon discover" (who replaced fine, elegant "muon software center" from 13.04 with that flashy bling-bling "muon discover" anyway and how to roll back that, anyway?...).
    Others are about "you need to install ia32-libs". Those are deprecated now...

So. I went and ran ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin on my own risk.
    It displayed a nice popup window with link to adobe help. That is broken and outdated, as I already discovered.
    And then nothing.
    But, I now have "Adobe AIR application installer" in my "start menu" (I don't know how it's called in KDE yet...).
    Which simply does not start. I opens up a window on taskbar, does something for a short while then disappears.
    ".air" applications produce same effect.

Finally.

If anyone already installed adobe air 2.6 on fresh ubuntu 13.10 and has a working solution, please advise.
    If anyone has a suggestion on how to see what happens when "air app installer" tries to start but fails, please point me. Logs maybe. I don't even know where those linux apps store their logs yet...

UPDATE:
    found "/opt/Adobe AIR/Versions/1.0/Adobe AIR Application Installer"
    On trying to
    Code:
    root#"./Adobe AIR Application Installer"
    Error loading the runtime (libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    But...
    Code:
    root#apt-get install libnss3
    libnss3 is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    What can I do with this?
    Last edited by darquan0; October 18th, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Re: installing adobe air on 13.10

I followed these instructions:

http://www.thepowerbase.com/2013/06/...-ubuntu-13-04/

And to get ia-32 libs, I did this:
    http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-13-10

Also, there is a line about linking gnome-keyring. The location is different so I had to do this before air would install:
    # ln -s /usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0 /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0

EDIT: forgot to give credit. I found this solution cuz of this post: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/S...bs/m-p/2269003

Hope this helps!
    -d
    Last edited by dane2; October 19th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Beans

Re: installing adobe air on 13.10

Have you tried installing the 32bit version of the libnss3 packages from the saucy repos?

I had the same problem with an Adobe Air application which did not want to start because libnss3.so was missing (as you have), and installing libnss3-1d:i386 fixed this issue for me.

All I did was a:
    sudo apt-get install libnss3-1d:i386

This pulled some more 32bit packages, and Adobe Air started working again. I am not sure that this will get Adobe Air working for you, since I had it already installed and working in raring, before I upgraded to saucy.