Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with 2 servers i got

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What to do with 2 servers i got

Sounds like one would make a nice FreeNAS.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    When you measure the power consumption and cost of that power, you will start looking at low-power servers.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They will be primarily used as NAS for my media files, but i will probably reserve about 140gb for the os and for me to muck about maybe even a dual boot of two oses or something like that.
    Does anyone know of a reliable brand for a UK power meter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can make your own. You need two meters: A current loop meter and a standard AC voltmeter. Strip open one of the EIC power cables and pull the hot lead free so you can get your clamp meter around it--don't cut it and be careful not to damage the insulation around the wire. Plug one meter into the wall outlet to read AC voltage, plug the EIC cable with your amp meter clamped around the hot lead into the same wall outlet and into the server. Read both amperage and voltage at the same time and make a log:

Computer Activity Voltage Amps Power (V*A)

Idle 231.0 0.8 184.8 watts
    burnP6 (x4) 229.0 1.2 274.8 watts

Most of the newer, server power supplies have 98% Power Factor so your V*A power (called Apparent Power) will be close to PF*V*A (Utility or Resistive Power)--or what you get charged for.

Take readings with one and two power supplies to see if the second power supply consumes more than 10 watts. If so, then you will want to pull it and just keep it as a spare on the shelf than just burning power.

Here's a nice clamp meter for $55US, but you can find cheaper ones for ~$10: http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...=27&prodid=101

You can use the same meter to make both measurements, but I find it easier and safer to have two meters. Besides, you can't have too many meters.

If you don't want to buy any meters, then you can simply use your house electric meter and turn off everything and just measure the server over an hour of use then subtract the two readings--that will give you a direct kilowatt-hour reading.
    Last edited by tgalati4; October 20th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

I may be getting my hands on two more servers so power consumption will be a definite factor.

Beans

I have a desktop server I built at home running 4GB of RAM with an i3 processor and 2x3TB RAID 1 WD Reds. I run the following services and rely on all of them heavily:

Video Surveillance via "Motion" (in repos)
    ownCloud - Personal Cloud
    Web - Apache
    File Services - Samba
    Streaming Local Content To HTPC - Samba
    System Backups - SSH and Samba, depending on what I'm doing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

If u are really feeling adventurous why not try Cluster computing?

https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/linux_clusters/
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro

Clusters sound pretty cool, but for me i don't really see much use for them, unless there are any cool uses i am missing. I just got my hands on a hp bladesystem with 2 server blades in them, i was wondering if there was any way to mount 3.5" drives inside the enclosure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I would not trust the reliability of that speed test i took it and result's where 2.7 download and 0.96 upload which is incorrect because am getting 8.6 download and 2.1 upload try a different speed test like this one http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/spe...FbIPtAodW1IA9w

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ads2996 View Post
    Clusters sound pretty cool, but for me i don't really see much use for them, unless there are any cool uses i am missing. I just got my hands on a hp bladesystem with 2 server blades in them
    Plus 2 more thats 4 servers... and used as servers u might end up spending 500 or more per month in electricity. If u want servers that much, better of getting one from Synology DS412 (for 600 dlls) which uses the equivalent of a 40 watt bulb per month and does a lot more that ur present hardware. But give me four servers in a cluster and I'll calculate when the next meteor will hit the earth... maybe.
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast