I've been trying to install Ubuntu for the last 3 days and went through dozens of topics but nothing works for me, so I hope you can possibly help me here...
My laptop model is Tohshiba Satellite A215. Few months ago I had Ubuntu 12.04 installed on this machine (from LiveCD, everything worked perfect) but then I had to format my hard drive and install Windows 8. Since that time, no hardware nor BIOS version changed. So now I want to install Ubuntu, to have it along with Windows. But every time I run the installer some problems appear. Here is what I tried:
- starting installation normally -> gets me some strange lines about Pnp Bios. The last line says "Pnp Bios version 1.0, entry 0xf000 :0x9afb, dseg 0x400"
- starting installation with pnp bios=off -> the same
- starting installation with nomodeset -> gets me black or gray screen (depending if I use CD or USB)
- starting installation with nomodeset + acpi=off + noapic -> gets me blinking cursor
- starting installation with pnp bios=off AND I delete quiet splash -> WORKS. The files load, there are some fails, though there's no time to note them down and finally the installation screen appears. I choose a partition to install the system, click Next and AGAIN i get black screen or black screen with a blinking cursor.
I also tried:
- running different versions (12.04, 13.04)
- running both from USB and CD
- running from an alternate installer
In every case the same things happen. I would really appreciate any ideas...