Thread: Screwed Up Somewhere: 'grub rescue'

Beans

Exclamation Screwed Up Somewhere: 'grub rescue'

Okay- I'm going to write down exactly what I did and hope for the best, because I am a little bit out of my depth here. I had a computer with both Ubuntu and Windows 7 home on it; I decided I didn't use the linux partition enough on it, so I deleted it, and used a program to add the unallocated space to my Windows 7 partition. It appears, though, that in doing this I've messed up the boot-loader. Now, it won't load windows, and simply has a prompt stating 'grub rescue'. Not only do I have NO clue what that is, but now I can't boot at all into windows.

I just want to be able to boot into Windows 7 again- I know it's there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Screwed Up Somewhere: 'grub rescue'

So you removed Ubuntu/Linux partitions which has OS on it, right? If true, then you must fix the Windows Boot... you will need Windows Repair Disk, or Windows Install Disc to do so... Read Here.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I calmed down and fixed it- I used bootrec.exe from the Windows 7 repair command prompt. I think things are going sailingly now- I just panicked! No one is comfortable when their computer doesn't start!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am glad you fixed it.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."