Thread: indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin (Launchpad 1208204)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin (Launchpad 1208204)

I am trying to apply this fix for 13.10 Xubuntu

"Thanks, Sean
    For those looking for a temporary workaround, look at /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service and change the Exec line

Exec=/usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service"

But I can't edit the file without root access? How do I get root access? I know there is way to do it via a gui with mouse pad or leafpad, but when I type gksudo is says it's not found. Do I install it? What commands do I use?
    Thanks
    Last edited by cariboo; October 16th, 2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: normalize font to comply with forum C of C

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin (Launchpad 120820

Hello and welcome to the forums.

gksudo isn't installed by default any more, but it can be installed via:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gksu
    pkexec is supposed to be the replacement for gksudo, but its not configured out of the box for running X applications.

Apparently, you can also use "sudo -i" to run graphical applications as root".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin (Launchpad 120820

There is a more versatile workaround in this comment
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...04/comments/41
    you can use nano
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the welcome

I assume the only text I change is the Exec line?:

Exec=/bin/sh -c 'if [ -n "$(ps -U $USER | grep xfce4-panel)" ]; then /usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service;else /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-sound/indicator-sound-service;fi'

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    There is a more versatile workaround in this comment
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...04/comments/41
    you can use nano
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service

Beans
    Distro

I don't know how to use this program "sudo nano" it won't allow me to save a file. I don't know how to type out ^O to write out the file or any of the commands or what they do. Can it be done with a GUI interface that allows me to click file then save.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by hhWnd8K View Post
    I don't know how to use this program "sudo nano" it won't allow me to save a file. I don't know how to type out ^O to write out the file or any of the commands or what they do. Can it be done with a GUI interface that allows me to click file then save.
    You can either:

1. Install gksu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gksu
    ...and use gksudo to startup mousepad in root mode:
    Code:
    gksudo mousepad /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service
    2. Or if you don't want to install gksu, you can:
    Code:
    sudo -i mousepad /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service

Beans
    Distro

TOZ, Thanks works perfect now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just a couple of notes - to save and exit in nano Ctrl+O, Ctrl+X

I'd try to get the hang of it - if you get issues where you need to work with files at the recovery root menu then you'll thank yourself.

Secondly, be aware that while that fix works - if changes to the file come through you'll possibly need to redo the change.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks for the welcome

I assume the only text I change is the Exec line?:

Code:
    Exec=/bin/sh -c 'if [ -n "$(ps -U $USER | grep xfce4-panel)" ]; then /usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service;else /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-sound/indicator-sound-service;fi'
    yes, that is a replacement 'Exec' line
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post