Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My horrible Saucy experience

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My HORRIBLE Saucy experience

Up until a week or two ago I would have agreed with you if you were commenting on the running of the Live Session or the working of the Installer. I see the live session/installer as a separate entity to the version of Ubuntu under development. In the past some of us have made comments about the live session/installer. The thing that has given me a bad live session/installer experience in recent weeks was the Ubuntu One login.

I have a better opinion of the distribution called Saucy Salamander than you do and I have been using it as a normal working OS since the beginning of the development cycle all those weeks ago. That makes me more informed about Ubuntu 13.10 than you.

Why are you expecting beta software to be perfect? Yet you do not advise people to avoid installing beta software but to avoid installing the released version of the software, which you have not yet tested. Nobody has yet installed Ubuntu 13.10 (released). I cannot consider you as an unbiased expert.

Ubuntu is not a distribution for Linux gurus, such as yourself. It has been from the beginning a distribution for humans. I can understand why the developers think that humans would not have a need to edit system scripts. They don't.

Ubuntu 13.04 does not have gksu installed by default. I have not noticed very many people posting on Ubuntu forums wondering why gksudo gedit not longer works. In fact when we run the gksudo command we get the advice that gksu is not installed along with the command on how to install it. What is so wrong with that? The same situation applies in Saucy Salamander. If you know it should be there, then you will know how to get it there. You will be told how to get it there. You raise a trivial issue.

Thank you having such concern for our welfare that you had to search to find this forum just to give us your warning. You need not of troubled yourself. Had you looked around this forum a bit you would have seen the Ubuntu+1 section where the state of the development release is discussed openly all though the development cycle.

Regards to all Ubuntu+1 testers.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1!

At the very least it's much faster!
    Oh yes! and probably better too (can't quite say since i never tried the software updater upgrade method but i just get a "sense" that it is probably true)....
    For my last test, as i will now be leaving ubuntu development testing (it has been a fun and interesting run) when 13.10 final is released on thursday, i am going to download the iso and over the weekend (actually probably on friday) i will be upgrading my 13.10 development to 13.10 final (using the iso installer upgrade method again)...

I figure if all goes well it should clean out my system and be essentially like a fresh 13.10 final install..."fingers will be crossed" of course

Worse case: I have to do a clean install....but if it works out well then i plan to continue using the method to "roll" from each final version into the next one...
    I always love having the latest ubuntu but i was getting a bit tired of doing clean installs every time...and spending all the time adding my "stuff" back in again (apps and data)....

I will post a thread about it after it is done...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 14th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

today, i have had upgraded my 13.04 to 13.10 via update manager and noticed that screen does not turn off anymore. whatever the time i set.....it just does't turn off.
    and i have had some nm-applet crashes too, even worse than in 13.04.
    in this moment, for me, it is a big mess.
    still, i will try a clen install later this month.

Beans
    Distro

@richardsdma: sorry to hear that...but this is just why i am such a proponent of doing the upgrade by using the option to do an upgrade on the live iso installer...my upgrade using that method went great (only 2 things had to be re-installed, Chrome and MS fonts) and it was fast...for all intensive purposes, while it was going on it looked just like a clean install with slide shows and everything and super fast too...It seems i read so many experiences where people have used the update manager to do it and had some kind of bork or mess as a result...

i don't know if this will work (since you have kind of a mess on your hands) but before doing that clean install, you might try using the live iso installer upgrade option to see if it can possible re-do it for you and straighten things out...you really would not lose anything by trying since the worse case would be you will have to re-do as a clean install...If you do it, let us know how it worked out for you...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 14th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanx
    is it possible to upgrade via liveUSB even if you have multipme OS? in this moment, i have 12.04 and wind seven......along with 13.10.

but still, i dont know if tha problem is with tha way of upgrading or in the ubuntu 13.10 itself.
    Last edited by richardsdma; October 14th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Ok.. I took up the task to manually upgrade from an old version of Quantal to Saucy by editing the sources.list. After the upgrade I got this

Code:
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: too many errors, stopping
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     libkfile4
     libsyndication4
     python-aptdaemon
     kdepimlibs-kio-plugins
     gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386
     gdm
     kde-workspace-bin
     libkdewebkit5
     python3-pyqt4
     libkblog4
     kde-window-manager-common
     libedataserver-1.2-17
     libkidletime4
     unity
     libsoup2.4-1:i386
     libsoup-gnome2.4-1:i386
     libakonadi-calendar4
     libkdnssd4
     libedata-cal-1.2-20
     libkmbox4
     libkmime4
     libkrossui4
     libgail-3-0:i386
     unity-services
     plasma-widgets-addons
     libgweather-3-3
     libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386
     libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
     plasma-widgets-workspace
     libkpimtextedit4
     gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:i386
     libktnef4
     libpango1.0-dev
     libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0:i386
     gnome-panel
     accountsservice
     xserver-xorg-core
     plasma-dataengines-addons
     libgoa-1.0-0:i386
     gnome-contacts
     libkldap4
     libakonadi-contact4
     libmicroblog4
     libkntlm4
     python3-gi
     evolution-data-server
     libgtk-3-dev
     python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets
     plasma-netbook
     libunity9:i386
     gnome-font-viewer
     initramfs-tools
    Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
    camel2@ubuntu:~$
    but now I am about to reboot and see whats up with this old install.

brb

Beans
    Distro

@ richardsdma: Never did a usb install so not sure...perhaps someone else can advise if it offers the upgrade option on there the way the iso on dvd does...or could you perhaps run a live session on the usb to check it yourself? Keep in mind you can start up the installer to have it look at what you got and then offer it's various options just to LOOK AT IT...and you aren't actually installing unless you hit that "install now" button...
    That is how i checked the options myself...after seeing what the installer would do for me automatically, i simply backed out and went back to the live session and then left it....
    Last edited by craig10x; October 14th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by richardsdma View Post
    thanx
    is it possible to upgrade via liveUSB even if you have multipme OS? in this moment, i have 12.04 and wind seven......along with 13.10.

but still, i dont know if tha problem is with tha way of upgrading or in the ubuntu 13.10 itself.
    You will not be offered the upgrade option from the live image if you have more than one **buntu based distro installed.

Beans
    Distro

Oh darn...well for me it's ok because i only have one ubuntu installed (actually, that is all i have installed...lol) so in that case, i can only suggest this as a better way of upgrading IF you only have one ubuntu installed...otherwise, if you want to use the upgrade method, you have to use either the software updater or the terminal methods and hope for the best...

Would be nice if they would have it offer the upgrade option on the ubuntu live installer if you have more then one ubuntu....but perhaps that is not possible...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's no perhaps about it. It's a feature of ubiquity at the moment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast