Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My horrible Saucy experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: My HORRIBLE Saucy experience

I was able to upgrade succesfully to 13.10 via the network. It was an older, experimental install of QQ and I used the terminal method. It did not go all smoothly. Thankfully I had fvwm-crystal DE installed and I was able to go there, use synaptic and complete the upgrade while fixing several borked depends.

I'd rather use SDC and "live" USB ! lol.. It is so much more expedient lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: My horrible Saucy experience

Saucy works fine for me. Bugs? Yes. I file them. They're all known.

i never do in-place distribution updates. I keep /home on a separate drive and backup every config file I edit.

All automated updates must make assumptions about the system they are updating. The more a user has tweaked and altered his system, the greater the chances the update will fail.

Beans

I went back to Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.04. Forum support is lacking, bugs persist, having to plug and unplug and replug your keyboard to make an OS work is just silly, having to click countless windows just to plug in your iPhone is frustrating, inability to support 32-bit Linux programs is a show-stopper. Not worth the "upgrade".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by patrickscarroll View Post
    I went back to Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.04. Forum support is lacking, bugs persist, having to plug and unplug and replug your keyboard to make an OS work is just silly, having to click countless windows just to plug in your iPhone is frustrating, inability to support 32-bit Linux programs is a show-stopper. Not worth the "upgrade".
    You should go back to your other thread and edit it down to one issue.

SOP is one issue , one thread.

And multiple issue threads get confusing, because the answers get mingled post to post.

I, myself, have ran 13.10 since development started and haven't had a problem, aside from update issues early on.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You should go back to your other thread and edit it down to one issue.

SOP is one issue , one thread.

And multiple issue threads get confusing, because the answers get mingled post to post.

I, myself, have ran 13.10 since development started and haven't had a problem, aside from update issues early on.
    Thanks for the help. My issues are resolved now with your help. I'm glad your system is working just fine. Mine wasn't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    There's no perhaps about it. It's a feature of ubiquity at the moment.
    It would undoubtedly be incredibly complex to try and have ubiquity offer upgrades if more than one **buntu install exists

But those who multi-boot are likely to just use the manual partitioning option anyway ............ or I'd at least hope so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    It would undoubtedly be incredibly complex to try and have ubiquity offer upgrades if more than one **buntu install exists

But those who multi-boot are likely to just use the manual partitioning option anyway ............ or I'd at least hope so
    Indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by patrickscarroll View Post
    You get what you pay for on forums.

32-bit Linux programs work fine on 32-bit Linux, and, as well, on 64-bit Linux with the correct libraries installed. Much, much better than they work on Windows.

A total of 7 posts here isn't much to go by. In my experience, requests for specific help with specific issues coupled with information usually prompt responses here.

At the least, you should consider that since the scale and variety of issues you are experiencing far exceed those reported by other users, perhaps there is something on your end that is the cause.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@phillinux and kansasnoob: Yes, i can certainly understand that...it would be very complicated to offer an upgrade option if you are running multiple ubuntus...

But here is an interesting question: What if someone is...for example: dual booting with windows...or multi booting with some combination of either windows or/and other non ubuntu linux distros...whatever combination...BUT only has ONE ubuntu on his system...in that situation, would the installer STILL offer the Upgrade option or would it not?

Inquiring minds want to know
    Last edited by craig10x; October 15th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @phillinux and kansasnoob: Yes, i can certainly understand that...it would be very complicated to offer an upgrade option if you are running multiple ubuntus...

But here is an interesting question: What if someone is...for example: dual booting with windows...or multi booting with some combination of either windows or/and other non ubuntu linux distros...whatever combination...BUT only has ONE ubuntu on his system...in that situation, would the installer STILL offer the Upgrade option or would it not?

Inquiring minds want to know
    Hi, I'm multi-booting Windows7, Saucy, and Mageia..

This is news to me: using the Live CD to upgrade instead of install. I usually see the "upgrade" option when the OS is at EOL.

I dont believe I answered your question, but I wonder:

Is the Live CD upgrade faster than upgrading the Software Sources to next (TT) version?
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast