Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: k9copy alternatives?

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: k9copy alternatives?

Part of the problem is that Ubuntu doesn't have ffmpeg anymore - it's not in the repositories. Since the split, they have supported the libav path instead of ffmpeg. So ffmpeg isn't really an option in Ubuntu. Since Slackware is a completely different distribution than Ubuntu, they have apparently decided to still us ffmpeg. Too bad Ubuntu didn't. I really don't want to find a way to build ffmpeg in Ubuntu since that means everyone using Ubuntu who would want to try to use a (hopefully) k9copy built for Ubuntu wouldn't have a pre-requisite of trying to install ffmpeg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I should add, I don't know how fast k9copy ran in the past to compress a dvd9 to dvd5 but keep everything from the source disk, but I had this running tonight for 3 1/2 hours and it was no where near completing. For the time being, if/until someway can be found to have the source for k9copy compatible with libav, I'm not going to worry about my local build. I'm more interested in seeing the thing ported to Ubuntu without the need for a seperate avformat.h header file. That will require someone who is conversant in both ffmpeg (not the program, but all of the libraries that make up the package ffmpeg) and libav so they can either change things themselves or point me to what needs to change.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a guy that has a GitHub for K9copy.
    Here's some comments he made on Kubuntu.org forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll have to check those out - thanks!

In the mean time, the version I built in 14.04 works perfectly. The DVD I was testing with had 20+ titlesets that were over (edit) each pretty large - no wonder it was running for so long! I put in another DVD with only 3 titlesets - the main one just under 4gb, the next 450mgb and the last 160mb. Completed quite quickly and the ISO runs perfectly in VLC.

If anyone is interested, just post back and I'll see I can help you get the same thing.
    Last edited by squakie; April 29th, 2014 at 04:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wow -thanks for those links!! Someone who knew what they were doing already making everything work in Ubuntu! Yeah!

Beans

FYI I downloaded this package http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-...amd64.deb.html and just copied the binaries into /usr/bin. It seems to work in kubuntu 13.10.
    I have several directories with movies I had been just copying with dvdbackup i.e. no compression and no copying to dvd's. I have now successfully created 4.3G iso's from some of those directories. I havent actually copied any dvd's yet.

Beans

It turns out that k9copy will not do the whole dvd copy/shrink/burn, I still have to use dvdbackup and dvdauthor to copy the dvd. Once I have the necessary files I use k9copy to shrink the VOB files and create the iso to burn.

Beans

What is the intended use (generally) of k9copy at this point (trusty
    Looking at the github edit & a package in a ppa it would seem only useful to rip dvd's to file or iso (either in whole or part) & only dvds that have no or much older structure protection

As far as using a recent ffmpeg for any encoding tasks, (assuming ffmpeg is in a bin in PATH), most would be worthless, exception seems to be to extract audio only which does work with a little help.
    (k9 will not use avconv for encoding

Using mencoder for any encoding likely works ok though I'm sure in general handbrake would be better.
    Last edited by mc4man; June 9th, 2014 at 05:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123