Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: k9copy alternatives?

Beans

k9copy alternatives?

I recently updated to 13.04 and was horrified to find k9copy gone. I understand that development apparently stopped ages ago, but what is the alternative?
    I have yet to find a program that can rip a dual-layer DVD to a 4.3GB iso. I can easily make an iso from the DVD (built-in to nautilus), but they're too big to fit on a regular DVD...

What is everyone else using?

I tried DVD95, which sounds like it should do what I need. But it doesn't produce a playable/readable iso (crashes VLC every time).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: k9copy alternatives?

Welcome to the forum, montgoss2.

Haven't done any ripping lately, but

Code:
    dvdrip and acidrip
    are two suggestions.

Not sure if they have all the features you need.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

I've looked at Acidrip before. It seems to only convert to avi or mpg files. I don't see a way to generate an iso.
    DVD::rip seems to be the same. It's all about ripping a DVD to a compressed avi or mpg file.

I already use Handbrake for transcoding and it works quite well. But that's the second step. The first is to backup the DVD onto a blank DVD-R... k9copy was the only program I have found that does that.

The only suggestion I've seen for creating smaller iso's is running a windows program under wine. There's got to be a linux native app that can do what k9copy did, right??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    genisoimage
    seems to fit the bill.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can you copy the package from another distribution? I'm not sure if this would work but I guess that it is worth a try.
    Or get the source code and compile it yourself?
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Code:
    genisoimage
    seems to fit the bill.
    Can you elaborate on that? I don't see any way to make genisoimage do compression. Am I just missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven
    Can you copy the package from another distribution? I'm not sure if this would work but I guess that it is worth a try.
    Or get the source code and compile it yourself?
    I got k9copy running, but it no longer works. It produces unreadable/unplayable iso's.

I did some more searching. I found several applications that claim to do what I need, but none that actually do what k9copy did... Nor any that provide a GUI.

I did find a command-line tool called xdvdshrink that would compress the DVD folder structure (I had to mount the iso to a temp directory in order to read it). Then I was able to use genisoimage to turn that smaller DVD folder back into an iso. It plays, but it's slightly messed up. I lost DVD navigation/menus and the timestamps are messed up: 1hr47min video shows as 1hr video in VLC...

It's also a multi-step process with at least 2 CLI tools.
    If anyone has better options, I'm all ears.

Beans

K9Copy was nice and I used it all of the time too. I wish someone would take up redeveloping that program. Anyway, since then I have used "Hand-Brake" and "DeVeDee" to fill the void left by K9Copy. Hand-Brake will rip/convert your DVD into a .MKV format (playable by VLC or Ubuntu's Video Player [Totem] ) and DeVeDee will then burn the .MKV file to a DVD for you to be playable in any DVD device. The downside is it takes about 3X the time to do this in these programs versus what K9Copy could do. The end-result though is a good quality DVD for your use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry for the bump, but I have just noticed this. What an enormous shame, it was the only thing that really worked!

I would like to suggest that you could probably run k9copy in an Ubuntu 12.04 VM. That's what I'll be investigating soon.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hummmm......is/was k9copy open source? Does anyone know where to get the source and any supporting non-repo's libs, etc.?

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, I downloaded the source from sourceforge and have been trying to build it. I get an error about an item not being defined. I didn't copy the tons of output prior to this fatal error:
    Code:
    Scanning dependencies of target k9copy
    [ 63%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/k9copy.dir/k9copy_automoc.o
    In file included from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/../src/import/k9chapteredit.h:18:0,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/moc_k9chapteredit.cpp:9,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/k9copy_automoc.cpp:15:
    /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/../src/import/k9avidecode.h:32:91: error: ‘AVFormatParameters’ has not been declared
     typedef int (*av_open_input_file_t)(AVFormatContext **, const char *,AVInputFormat *,int, AVFormatParameters *);
                                                                                               ^
    In file included from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/src/mpeg2/kdecmpeg2.h:24:0,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/src/mpeg2/k9decodethread.h:20,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/src/mpeg2/k9plaympeg2.h:24,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/../src/main/k9cropselect.h:33,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/moc_k9cropselect.cpp:9,
                     from /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build/k9copy_automoc.cpp:41:
    /home/dave/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/src/mplayer/k9internalplayer.h:17:7: warning: ‘class k9InternalPlayer’ has virtual functions and accessible non-virtual destructor [-Wnon-virtual-dtor]
     class k9InternalPlayer {
           ^
    make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/k9copy.dir/k9copy_automoc.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/k9copy.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    dave@davelaptop:~/Downloads/k9copy-2.3.8-Source/build$
    Obviously "AVFormatParameters" is supposed to be from some header somewhere, but I haven't found it. Does this look familiar to anyone?

If I can get it built against the 14.04 libs, etc., then I'll try it out to see if it works. If so, I'll need to someone from this thread to try it with one of the dvd's they've had problems with to see if it works then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast