Thread: re-OSed to slackware, now fan is super loud

Beans

re-OSed to slackware, now fan is super loud

I've got a "Lemur" system76 laptop, and after a disk corruption decided to try a different distro. After an hour or two playing with it, things are mostly working fine, but the fan is going full blast. I checked "top" and load is very low, nothing is hogging the CPU and the computer does not feel hot.

Is there something simple that could be causing this, like missing drivers to adjust the fan? I'm not sure what tweaks System76 applies to the base Ubuntu system, if any.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: re-OSed to slackware, now fan is super loud

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Slackware forum at linuxquestions.org is probably the best place to ask that kind of question.

Beans

It's curious that I can post into what is supposed to be a System76 forum, but then find it is not at all interested in System76 specific questions. Instead, my post gets moved to a board that doesn't concert System76 hardware and then get told I should ask somewhere specific to my distro.

I wanted a hardware specific place to ask this, not a distro specific.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is Ubuntu forums - we have one or two specific forum areas for specific things like System 76.

We are not a slackware/pclinuxos/mint forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

System76 products are sold with Ubuntu. The odds of getting an answer to a problem with running another distribution on a System76 machine here are pretty small.

Slackware -- essentially a one-person effort -- does not have an official forum. The Slackware forum on Linuxquestions is the next best thing.

In all likelihood, your problem with fans is a driver issue. Slackware offers little hand holding; no dependency resolution, for example. It assumes you can resolve your own problems. You may wll need to track down the appropriate driver and build it from source.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/
    and that is NOT specific to the current release, so drive on over and toss out the Question.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.