Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon mp 250 printer

Beans

Re: Canon mp 250 printer

thanks Adam

so what does

dpkg -l | grep libtiff4
    give you please if you copy and paste into a terminal?

Beans

This is what I get, with the bold red text:

adam@KLaptop:~$ dpkg -l | grep libtiff4
    ii libtiff4-dev:i386 4.0.3-7ubuntu0.1 i386 Tag Image File Format library (TIFF), transitional package
    adam@KLaptop:~$

I went through and applied all updates that were pending, restarted the machine, tried all the steps you suggested earlier, got the same results about libtiff4 being absent, and finally this step with the above result. I even went via the Ubuntu software centre and reinstalled libtiff4, did everything again, all with the same results.

Do you think I may have something installed that conflicts with the file? I haven't installed too many applications ...

Thanks,
    Adam.

Beans

thanks;
    libtiff4-dev:i386
    you have only got a development package installed:

Debian still stock the pure strain of libtiff4 and you can get it here ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff3/

scroll down below all the libtiff4-dev packages and choose the libtiff4-3.9.6-11_i386.deb package;

re-run the install script after installing libtiff4
    Last edited by pdc; July 5th, 2014 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for that. I installed the libtiff4 files, ran through the installation procedure again, and everything seemed to succeed. However, I'm not quite sure what happens next ... the printer shows up when I want to print documents, but I don't seem to have any way of configuring the printer as an independent piece of hardware. In Windows (yes, I know ) it was simply a matter of settings/hardware/printers/add printer, or something along those lines ... I can't find a similar task in KDE/Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Adam.

Beans

but I don't seem to have any way of configuring the printer
    .........I'm not sure what you want to do:

there are various ways to tweak; click on this link http://localhost:631/printers/ .....it should list options: there may be a gutenprint entry for your MP250 and a Canon driver (saying something like version 3.6 or something..........)

If you left-click on the left column, you should be able to alter settings;

another way is paste
    system-config-printer
    in a terminal and the window that opens should have printer entries: is that helpful?

Beans

Hi,

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was looking to see ... although there aren't that many options it is still very helpful.

Thanks again,
    Adam.

Beans

You can get the manual: go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal

find your model; click on manuals

If you download the linux printer guide http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...300277201.html

you will find the command
    cngpijmonmp250 MP250
    .............set up a launcher if you repeatedly want to tinker .............

best you download the guide: best you read through it; best you work it all out; best you come back and tell us what you learn; Ubuntu is a community of volunteers!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Not sure if this helps, but I have the MP 250 installed on both 12.10 and 13.04.
    I'm using the gutenprint drivers (comes with kubuntu).

PS: Remember that the 13 series of [k]ubuntu makes printers "offline" or "disallowed" by default which I think is stupid... Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure if they changed that in 13.10.

I just found out how to make it print in draft mode!!!
    Advanced options->Resolution->600x600 draft
    Last edited by Cinderboot; July 8th, 2014 at 03:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12