Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make Ktorrent default on Firefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Make Ktorrent default on Firefox

According to Firefox's help, if you delete the file /home/user/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/mimeTypes.rdf it will allow all content type actions to be reset. Replace the wildcard with whatever alphanumeric string is in use on their system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks, oldos2er, I will try that. However, I have gotten myself into a bit of trouble as I tried editing about:config and now I need to delete an entry that went very very wrong. Once I figure out how to fix that, I will try your suggestion! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sorry for the trouble you have with my input.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro

It's no big deal heir4c. I had already been looking at about:config a couple of days ago, but hadn't found any hints as to where to look and experiment at until your input. Worse comes to worse, I will try to just remove Firefox and it's .mozilla file and reinstall or something. I just haven't had time yet to get back to it to see if I can delete my entry into about:config or not....it's a very strange setup. I will be working on that a little later today.

Beans
    Distro

oldos2er -- Thanks. That deletion seems to have gotten rid of my spurious entry in about:config.

heir4c -- I managed to get an entry into about:config which looked like this: "network.protocol-handler.expose.torrent" "boolean" set to "false"
    The situation wasn't the same as the magnet link which was giving an error that is left open why a second tab is opened, so it couldn't be done exactly like ktorrent had recommened it to be done, so either I didn't understand how to set this up this way or this direction doesn't work either. But, nice try!!! Thanks!

Anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this or what is going wrong to cause this situation? Does it sound like something that might be fixed if I do a new install of Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans
    Distro

I did a complete new install of Ubuntu 12.04 64bit on his Intell based 64 laptop, told it to format the "/" partitian, however, I conserved his "/home" partitian with all his personal config and data info, except I had deleted the .mozilla file before the install began.

This didn't get rid of the problem. I am using gnome-session-fallback, but I don't see how that would have anything to do with this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In firefox go to edit, next go down to preferences and click!
    Next go over to Applications click!
    Now go down to Torrent file click! or it could just be magnet if so click and go to use other
    When you look at this if you see ktorrent click it, if it is not there go to use other
    Now go to /usr/bin/ and find and click ktorrent[B]
    You can now change ktorrent to ask or open torrent file!
    Last edited by Roger Cook; October 12th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Roger Cook, held7over have no "Torrent" or "magnet" in that list. The same here in my list.

When I click on a magnet link, I have a message that DHT must be activated. (I activated that in the config of ktorrent under the "bittorrent" Tab)
    ( I installed ktorrent and FireFox show directly ktorrent as the default choice to download torrents)
    I also add a line in about:config:
    network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet (with boolean Type and the Value: true)
    After that there was "magnet" in the list (and ktorrent as default to open it.)
    I try adding a line in about.config with .torrent instead of .magnet, but no "torrent" in the list.
    When I click on a torrent on the torrentsite: http://katproxy.com/ than I get a window with only "cancel" and "Save". But when I choose an other torrentsite I have a window where I can choose with what Program I will open it. So maybe there is something wrong on the site itself. ??
    When I choose a magnet ktorrent opens automatic and I just have to click on 'OK'.
    Last edited by heir4c; October 13th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your suggestion Roger Cook. I will go over the steps you have suggested and see if I can implement any of them. Some of it I am sure I have already tried. But I have ran out of time right now, as my wife is to go into surgery tomorrow and we are getting ready, so, it may be several days before I get back and have a chance to double check things and get a reply back to you.

Beans
    Distro

Roger - in Applications, there is no Item labeled "Torrent File" or "Magnet" or "Magnet Link", etc., to click on. So, at that point, I can go no farther...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast