Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is man?

Beans

Question Where is man?

I just installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.3. I type, for example, man ls to look at the man page for the ls command. Does the default install not include man?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where is man?

I just checked a couple of my servers (apparently, I don't have 12.04 on them yet...) - they have man.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_Sandfort View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.3. I type, for example, man ls to look at the man page for the ls command. Does the default install not include man?
    What happens that makes you think the man pages (in particular ls) is not installed?

Here is my version
    Code:
     lsb_release -a 
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
    Release:	12.04
    Codename:	precise
    Here is the man page in question
    Code:
    man ls

LS(1)                                     User Commands                                     LS(1)

NAME
           ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
           ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
           List  information about the FILEs (the current directory by default).  Sort entries alpha‐
           betically if none of -cftuvSUX nor --sort is specified.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
    Here is where those pages are located
    /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz
    Note that the file is ls.1.gz and the man page is actually man 1 ls See the red comments above. If you had a series of man pages that where spread over multiple pages (files) you would have to call the number unless you only wanted the default first page.

Thee man pages are really there. The only thing that gets installed without the man pages or some big well known applications. If you check you will find the non-installed man pages. I use apt or Synaptic to find the actual package name for the man pages.
    -BAB1

Beans

Thank you Iowan and Bab1. I do not even have the man executable available. When I execute whereis man or which man I get no results. When I just type man it gives me an error. Interestingly enough, there are man directories in my search path (/usr/share and /usr/bin, I think), but no man and no man symlink. Very strange. I have never seen this, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is intentional. If not, then I have to assume I messed up during the install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

... Very strange. I have never seen this, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is intentional. If not, then I have to assume I messed up during the install.
    It is not intentional. Yes, I would assumed you somehow messed up during the install. (Although, I am curious as to how.)
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi Karl_Sandfort.

Did you install the server using a USB stick or CD/DVD?

In case you used a USB, how did you install the ISO on the USB?

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you Iowan and Bab1. I do not even have the man executable available. When I execute whereis man or which man I get no results. When I just type man it gives me an error. Interestingly enough, there are man directories in my search path (/usr/share and /usr/bin, I think), but no man and no man symlink. Very strange. I have never seen this, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is intentional. If not, then I have to assume I messed up during the install.
    What do you get with this command
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/bin/man
    It should return this
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 102880 Dec 28  2012 /usr/bin/man
    What is the return from just typing man? It should return this
    Code:
    What manual page do you want?
    All Ubuntu versions I have installed over the years have had the manual pages included. I thing something when wrong with your install. I assume this is easy fix. I would just reinstall the package. To simulate this before trying it you can use this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --simulate --reinstall install man-db
    ...then just drop the --simulate. This package includes the man executable.
    -BAB1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi Karl_Sandfort.

Did you install the server using a USB stick or CD/DVD?

In case you used a USB, how did you install the ISO on the USB?

Regards.
    I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a DVD, and booted from that. On what looks like a gui Aptitude, there was a short list of packages that you can check off if you want them installed:

OpenSSH Server
    DNS Server
    LAMP Server
    Mail Server
    PostGreSQL Server
    Print Server
    Samba file server
    Tomcat Java server
    Virtual Machine Host
    Manual package selection

I checked off all of them. Other than that, I allowed the install program to proceed with the defaults.

Beans

Thanks, bab1. I think that by checking off "Manual package selection" I caused the problem myself. I'm going to try the install again, this time without checking anything. I suspect man will be included by default, as one would expect. If not, I will follow your advice and use apt-get.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, bab1. I think that by checking off "Manual package selection" I caused the problem myself. I'm going to try the install again, this time without checking anything. I suspect man will be included by default, as one would expect. If not, I will follow your advice and use apt-get.
    Good man. Once you have success mark this thread as solved.
    -BAB1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast