Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belkin Wireless N600 card not working on 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Belkin Wireless N600 card not working on 12.04

So, did you undertake my proposed solution above? What does this tell us?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe 8192du
    dmesg | grep -e 8192 -e ndis
    iwconfig
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Yes Chili555, your commands worked perfectly!! Right after I rebooted after running your commands I notice the wireless light flicker and Network Manager was picking up signals from everywhere! This thing is MUCH faster than even the ethernet was when I was using it. I didn't remove Wicd tho, I had some trouble with NM a few weeks ago and I just want to keep it as a backup. Interestingly, Wicd does not detect the wireless network for some reason, but I'm not concerned since NM is running good and hasn't dropped the signal once. That's the only variation I made, I followed the rest of the commands and they worked just like they should have. Here are the outputs since the wireless has been working:

Code:
    dethkiller@dethkiller-desktop:~$ sudo modprobe 8192du
    [sudo] password for dethkiller: 
    dethkiller@dethkiller-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -e 8192 -e ndis
    [    0.000000] PERCPU: Embedded 28 pages/cpu @ffff8800bfc00000 s83328 r8192 d23168 u262144
    [    0.000000] pcpu-alloc: s83328 r8192 d23168 u262144 alloc=1*2097152
    [   22.955212] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192du
    dethkiller@dethkiller-desktop:~$ iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan1     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"belkin.70a"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 08:86:3B:2C:07:0A   
              Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0  
              Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=100/100  Noise level=0/100
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.

I'm guessing that 8192du is the correct third party driver and that's why I don't need ndiswrapper anymore? And why not 'apt-get install' instead of 'git' 'make' and 'make install'? Is it because of the file type?

Again, thank you so much Chili555, like I said your advice worked perfectly. Any body having issues with Belkin N600 Wireless Adapters should try that out, thanks again!

Please mark as solved!!
    Last edited by Sef; October 18th, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: added code tags

Beans
    Distro

I'm guessing that 8192du is the correct third party driver and that's why I don't need ndiswrapper anymore?
    Exactly!
    And why not 'apt-get install' instead of 'git' 'make' and 'make install'? Is it because of the file type?
    To use apt, the package would need to be in the official Ubuntu repositories. This is not quite yet. It is in the git repository.

When Update Manage installs a newer kernel version, also known as linux-image, you will be asked to reboot to complete the update. Then you'll need to compile the driver for the newer kernel:
    Code:
    cd rtl8192du
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8192du
    Please retain the files and these instructions for that time. Also, please mark the thread Solved: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post12536730

Glad it's working. Have fun!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

When Update Manage installs a newer kernel version, also known as linux-image, you will be asked to reboot to complete the update. Then you'll need to compile the driver for the newer kernel:

When I compile it I'll need an internet connection, so if updating the kernel messes up the driver this would create a conundrum right? Thanx again, I saved those instructions to my desktop.

Beans
    Distro

When I compile it I'll need an internet connection
    Nope. If you've kept the 8192du files that you downloaded to compile the driver just now, then the same files needn't be downloaded again. That's why I said:
    Please retain the files and these instructions for that time.

Beans

chili555 - just wanted to let you know that I was having the same problem and with your instructions I was able to establish wireless on my belkin adapter. Thank you so much! I had been trying for hours with ndiswrapper with no success!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12