Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is still too complicated

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is still too complicated

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    Actually a lot of laptops and netbooks comes with no Ethernet port at all, so the only way to get internet connectivity is via the WiFi, so having access to an electrical charging point does not imply having the ability to connect to the internet via Ethernet.
    And depending on your living arrangement ethernet is not always feasible. I live in a basement apartment with separate entrance and share internet with the tenants upstairs, the router is upstairs and I don't even have the key to upstairs.

I know many people in similar situations. Wifi is our only internet access for the most part. I think some people assume that everyone has a desktop computer and pays for his/her own internet access, all my friends don't even have desktops as we move around a lot, we all use laptops and wifi. So my solution, I bought a cheap dongle which I know works in Linux, in case I need internet access to install wifi driver I can simply use that (I sometimes get old laptops which I install Linux for others, I have no choice over the hardware)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 10th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Huh?? Since which version of Ubuntu? That is odd. I have installed Ubuntu on some machines with broadcom wifi, it never works in live session either.
    Hi monkeybrain20122, it is specifically this chipset: Broadcom BCM4312 LP-PHY and it exhibits this exact same behaviour on all buntus including Mint from since 11.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

as i know in windows there are only some drivers that come with the OS. this might have changed lately. otherwise drivers come on a separate media. or they are on internet. i haven't seen any computers here with no ethernet. but i guess they come preloaded with the OS and drivers? or also with no OS?

i bought a PCMCIA wi-fi card once. plugged it into the computer, linux recognised it and it works.

the main reason why all devices are nto liek that is still because manufacturers refuse to give away linux drivers, so they could be inlcuded in the OS.

while this broadcom case (unless it's just an unresolved bug - since they have unity and mir to wory about) it's just ridiculous.

although you know what? my sound always works nicely in live session, but not on install (wrong card recognised, right card recognised and not working etc.). it even worked well for about a month or two on install in 12.04 version. updates broke it all. i found a workarround, but it's crappy. not workign as it should despite the drivers being present in kernel.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With this thread, I'm getting flashbacks to 2006:
    All my favorite Linux desktop readiness threads...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    You issue that all-encompassing damning characterization...

...and then you try to prove your point by focusing on one, just one, driver.

Wifi on my Linux machines has worked fine for years, without any intervention on my part. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe not. I'm certainly not going to argue that 10 years ago wifi was a piece of cake.

I'm on a ThinkPad W530 at the moment. I've installed every version of Ubuntu from 12.04 and every version of Fedora since 18 (include the F20 alphas and betas), plus several other flavors of Linux. Guess what? I've never had to download or configure *any* drivers, other than audo codecs on Fedora (ideology applies there), to get this thing to work.

Of course, if someone tries to run Linux on hardware without knowing if it is compatible with Linux, they might have problems. Same thing can happen the other way around with Windows.

It's been more than 10 years since I used Windows on a machine I owned, but I certainly remember needing to do a fair amount of tweaking and configuring by hand to get things to work.

If you define "ease of use" as zero-configuration and point,click, install, run, then few systems can meet that standard completely.

It's no surprise the Linux drivers for hardware that vendors don't want to work on Linux are ocassionally a pain to configure. People with that kind of hardware should acquire different hardware if they want to run Linux. Just like people who want to run OS X don't got buy a $600 box at Walmart and then whine that they can't.
    I also have a Lenovo W530, with the NVIDIA km1000 video card - does your system have this and it works with Ubuntu fine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think Ubuntu still has the same general problems Matthew Paul Thomas brought up in this video:

One has to give credit to Canonical though, the ubuntu developer world has changed significantly since that video 3 years ago.

http://developer.ubuntu.com/2013/10/...-app-showdown/

Over the course of six weeks, and using a beta release of the new Ubuntu SDK, our community of app developers were able to put together a number of stunningly beautiful, useful, and often highly entertaining apps.
    The fact that all of the submitted apps have already been published in the new app store is a huge testament to the success of that work, and to the engineers involved in designing and delivering it.
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    And depending on your living arrangement ethernet is not always feasible. I live in a basement apartment with separate entrance and share internet with the tenants upstairs, the router is upstairs and I don't even have the key to upstairs.

I know many people in similar situations. Wifi is our only internet access for the most part. I think some people assume that everyone has a desktop computer and pays for his/her own internet access, all my friends don't even have desktops as we move around a lot, we all use laptops and wifi. So my solution, I bought a cheap dongle which I know works in Linux, in case I need internet access to install wifi driver I can simply use that (I sometimes get old laptops which I install Linux for others, I have no choice over the hardware)
    Just a heads up for you and others who might be in your situation. You can get a cheap router and flash a third party firmware called dd-wrt on it and set it up as a client bridge. So basically the router connects to the wifi and you can use all 5 or so ports for wired devices. I paid about $20 for mine on sale and it works great.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

recently I switched to Mint 13 and have switched a few of the machines I support to it as well. to my surprise with the additional drivers added (broadcomsta) broadcom
    wireless adapters both on board and usb that never worked before work.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

as far as I know, the DVD issue comes from it being proprietary/intellectual property.

I think the DVD codecs are actually a hack, and some guy actually managed to get DVD playback on Linux a while ago and had to goto court over it. could be wrong tho
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
    as far as I know, the DVD issue comes from it being proprietary/intellectual property.

I think the DVD codecs are actually a hack, and some guy actually managed to get DVD playback on Linux a while ago and had to goto court over it. could be wrong tho
    For more info on DVD John, have a look at this wikipedia article

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast