Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to the shutdown command?

Beans

Alternative to the shutdown command?

I was screwing around in terminal and wanted to see about turning my computer off before I went to bed, I typed in shutdown as a guess and to my surprise it was actually a command. It then asked for a time (in minutes as I found out) and for root user (so I used sudo) so the final command I sent was sudo shutdown 1, which then sent out a message saying there was one minute until the server would go down for maintenance. So it looked as though things were shutting down as they would in a normal situation, except that the power button on the front of my computer was still glowing green and the monitor did not have the idling orange glow on the power button it normally has when the computer is off. Is this because shutdown is an alternative command to something that turns everything off? Furthermore are there other alternative commands for things such as restarting and shutting down that I can use and have them enact instantaneously?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is there an alternative to the shutdown command?

Code:
    sudo reboot
    will restart the system.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Normally shutdown does turn of your computer completely (at least with mine it does), but mabe someone else has more details on that.
    To turn your computer off immediately try "shutdown now", to reboot try "shutdown -r now" (both require root privileges).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UlTroX2000 View Post
    Normally shutdown does turn of your computer completely (at least with mine it does), but mabe someone else has more details on that.
    To turn your computer off immediately try "shutdown now", to reboot try "shutdown -r now" (both require root privileges).
    Ok. For the sake of learning syntax do you know what -r now applies to? Im slowly trying to develop an understanding of the terminal, im getting the commands but finding things on syntax of commands seems to be harder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Us...minal#Commands

... and this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...Command_Syntax

... might help. There is a ton of info available about commands and syntax.

PS: This is also handy but no explanations. You could research each.

http://fosswire.com/post/commands/

Another:

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_traini...terminal-guide

Incidentally, type this:
    Code:
    man shutdown
    ... in a terminal and you will find, first on the list:

-r ... Requests that the system be rebooted after it has been brought down.
    '-r' is an option (there's a heap and they can do different things in different situations) and they come after a command. You can also string them together.

Just a note: I have never heard of this timing thing with shutdown you mention. I just tried it and get nothing like it. Hmm. You learn something everyday, hopefully.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 7th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Shutdown command, on it's own, only shuts the system down. If you want it to also power off, you need to use the "-p" option.

...or save yourself some typing, and instead of "sudo shutdown -p now" just use "sudo poweroff". ("poweroff", "halt" and "reboot" commands invoke shutdown with different options. They might be easier to remember and quicker to type if you don't need to specify a time or shutdown message...)
    Last edited by mcduck; October 7th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Shutdown command, on it's own, only shuts the system down. If you want it to also power off, you need to use the "-p" option
    I use shutdown -h on my systems, which is probably just calling for the system to be powered off. AFAIK on Ubuntu there is no -p option. Though there is a -P for powering down.

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h 23:59 "Time to go to bed" &

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Even I use sudo shutdown -h 02:15 and it does 'Power Downs' my computer.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Although I knew about 'shutdown', I didn't know it could also poweroff the computer.

I've always used:

Code:
    sudo halt
    or

Code:
    sudo reboot
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

-h option might or might not actually power off the machine, depends on the power management (and BIOS settings) of the system.

Indeed, it does power off most of the systems I've used, but not all of them, so poweroff (or the -P) option is more universal solution.

(And yes, my bad, it's -P not -p. I usually just use "halt" as it's the shortest one and does power off my laptop)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast