Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

There were several folders, all with different numbers, ...I went and checked each one of them: NO wacom.ko! Only because I joined the forum a week ago, isn't any indication of my linux exposure, ...I've been with linux since 9.10, ...it's only because this buggy 12.04, much akin to Windows, that I am having all these problems, none of which were there with all these previous releases.

You have missed the line, mate:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libncurses5-dev autoconf libtool

which did removed ALL of these drivers:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring
    libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring:i386 libglapi-mesa-lts-raring libglapi-mesa-lts-raring:i386
    libxatracker1-lts-raring ubuntu-desktop x11-xserver-utils-lts-raring xorg
    xserver-common-lts-raring xserver-xorg-core-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-mouse-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-ati-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-cirrus-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-mach64-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-mga-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-modesetting-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-neomagic-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-r128-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-s3-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-savage-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-sis-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-sisusb-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-tdfx-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-trident-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-vesa-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-raring

after which, ...of course, the system didn't have what to start WITH, ...and hence stalled at the "checking battery state" line. And you still think I wouldn't have neede to rebuilt it from scratch?

I would need first to get the system to COMPILE this infernal xf86 driver, BEFORE I can go start playing with the hardware.

That the support is only after a month is commendable, ...certainly, ...it would be immeasurably BETTER though, if it actually would work too, ...you know!

My instincts tell me that it is most likely an issue of the 31 kernel and amd64, ...if the xf86 was written for BOTH, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be next to no problems.

I am under the impression that it wasn't written for either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

If I am messing up and something is wrong with the HOW TO I would greatly appreciate your help in fixing it.

Ordinarily I don't think adding developmental libraries for compiling results in a bunch of system files being uinstalled. Warnings that old versions will be replaced is more what I would expect to see. So I don't understand what you are telling me about the result of:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libncurses5-dev autoconf libtool
    For me the question becomes exactly what release of Ubuntu are you using? The thread title implies Precise (12.04). But you've now said twice:
    t is most likely an issue of the 31 kernel
    Why do you keep saying you have the 3.1 kernel? Precise has the 3.2 kernel. But we had already established you are using Raring i.e. the 3.8 kernel with the output of Xorg -version.
    Current Operating System: Linux smaragd 3.8.0-31-generic #46~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 11 18:21:16 UTC 2013 x86_64
    So now I'm thinking I missed the significance of smaragd, whatever that is. What is the output of?
    Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    Because you are not using the hybrid ABI Precise uses:
    xorg-server 2:1.13.3-0ubuntu6~precise3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
    I didn't mention the bug the frankenserver patch addresses for xf86-input-wacom. The bug causes system freezes or crashes unless the patch is applied. But you appear to have the Raring 1.13 X Server, not the Precise 1.11/1.12 hybrid that identifies itself as 1.11.

Anyway I'm trying to understand if you have some sort of idiosyncratic set up that is causing trouble with the compiling and so on. Or am I just completely missing the boat?
    Last edited by Favux; October 20th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mate, you need to start paying attention, ...

I wouldn't have expected that this line will cause you such consternation, as it is actually not that line, but what it causes, that is the core issue here! Your dismissive attitude, that you expect some 'old versions' to be replaced, is a touch out of reality, as what it is replacing, are actually critical components of the system setup and hence critical to it's operation.

I would humbly submit, that you start focusing on the list of removed items first, and then compare this to what it was replaced with, and then see if the system is likely to recover from such massive changes. A hint: ...it won't!

This thread was started on a 12.04 basis (or did I get that wrong?), ...what sense, then, would it make for me to beat my head against reinforced concrete, i.e. me having a different distro?

Instead of having to exemplify the complete kernel discription, pedantically 3.8.0-31-generic, as it is the current kernel, and everyone would be reasonable expected to be aware of it, I prefer to just type the last two digits 31 for efficiency sakes. I didn't type 3.1, ...no, I typed 31! Taking things at face value is rather appropriate here.

'smaragd' is my machine's name, I would have thought, that when the line starts with smaragd@smaragd:~$ then that would be readily identified as the machine name, ...but then again, that's me.

Mate, ...you really need to start paying attention!

Here is your cat output:

smaragd@smaragd:~$ cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS \n \l

let's see if you won't misinterpret that too.

You seem to be readily jumping to conclustions, for me to be able to implement patches, I would need first to have to be able to compile wacom.ko, which I have explained to you in the previous post didn't happen due to some errors during compilation (can't remeber their codes anymore), hence, the copy command couldn't find wacom.ko as it wasn't compiled!

I am going by memory here, ...what I remember seeing in the directories, were wacom.h, ...which I think is the precompile version of the wacom.ko.

Do your homework mate!

I am displaying remarkable patience with your attitude, by explaining things that you ought to know.

Beans
    Distro

The cat command showed your release is identifying itself as the Precise LTS. As far as I am aware Precise (12.04) natively has the 3.2 kernel. And as I mentioned the 1.11 (actually hybridized with some of 1.12) X Server.

Since you have the 3.8.0-31-generic kernel how did you get it? The same question applies to your 1.13 X Server.

In other words you don't seem to be in a vanilla Precise Unity release. You appear to have customized it. If that is true perhaps you could share what you have done.

That's what I've been trying to understand the last few posts. We appear to be speaking othogonally to each other, not communicating.

Beans
    Distro

Part of the mystery is solved. It turns out Ubuntu has changed a fundamental policy I thought was written in stone and is updating the kernel and X Server stack in Precise: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack That blows me away. How can they call it a long term release if they are updating fundamental parts of the system's stack? I don't know what else is changed with updating the so called HWE stack. Not seeing a whole lot of information.

I happened to have burned the 12.04.3 iso the other day and just ran it live and sure enough I'm seeing the same Xorg -version output you are. So you are running a "Precise" that is at least partially Raring (13.04). Now is that why the problems? Because it's a hybridized system? Maybe the package manager points to a mix of the releases? I just installed Raring the other week and was planning on testing out the Wacom driver compiles on it if that turned out to be what you had. But is compiling on 13.04 the same as 12.04.3?

My Precise, which is up to date, still says the 3.2 kernel and 1.11 X Server. No way I'm upgrading it to 12.04.3 just to check this out. Raring or nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was never coming in at 90 degrees, ...I have maintained a very straight line in regard to LTS!

ubuntu never have set anything in stone, ...you only have assumed that! Like I said, ...I am with ubuntu since 9.10, and ever since, kernels I can remember have been updated regularaly!

The ongoing support for LTS, thank God, is also including changes to the kernel, as it is vital for additional capabilities, since it is going to stay quasi the same release, i.e. 12.04, with additonal capabilities throughout it's service life, ...you need to install an update you knowledge, mate!

Your precise is not up to date!

I cannot say anything about 13.04 or 13.10, as I am using 12.04 LTS and will continue to use LTS distros only, ...but a safe assumption would be that either one of these two would produce either similar or even identical errors as does 12.04 with a 3.8.0-31-generic kernel.

Do you get it now, ...that it is a kernel issue?

I am faily certain that it is also a x86 versus x64 issue, ...my instincts tell me that that infernal xf86 and wacom.ko in their current configurations, would not compile on an AMD64 12.04

Are you going to be 'polite' enough and go and update your instructions, by limiting them to maybe only a certain kernel and only to x86 distros, prior to 12.04, ...instead of purporting that it is suitable for any distro and any bitrate?

Probably not, ...if your up to now obstinance is anything to go by.

Beans
    Distro

Your precise is not up to date!
    It is according to Update Manager. And I have been getting all the security patches for the kernel and so on.
    I am with ubuntu since 9.10, and ever since, kernels I can remember have been updated regularaly!
    That turns out not to be the case. The Ubuntu Kernel team releases minor updates that include security fixes and occasionally functional improvements. That's the 31 and so on you mentioned earlier. But the kernel version itself has not been updated. So for e.g. Lucid stuck with 2.6.32 with regular minor updates such as 2.6.32-54 or whatever. I won't be totally categorical about that because I don't track the Kernel team's activities closely.
    my instincts tell me that that infernal xf86 and wacom.ko in their current configurations, would not compile on an AMD64 12.04
    I have only been using amd64 for years. Compiles fine for me in the 3.2 kernel/1.11 X Server Precise, except I have to apply the frankenserver patch. Just compiled input-wacom-0.19.0 in Raring (3,8 kernel/1.13 X Server) with no problem on amd64 and tested in Gimp. Did not see anything resembling the output you got with:
    Code:
    At the end of the output from the command:
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    as usual it helpfully tells you the new wacom.ko is in the 3.7 folder and where to copy it to. So as I expected:
    Code:
    sudo cp ./3.7/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    worked fine.
    Are you going to be 'polite' enough and go and update your instructions, by limiting them to maybe only a certain kernel and only to x86 distros, prior to 12.04, ...instead of purporting that it is suitable for any distro and any bitrate?

Probably not, ...if your up to now obstinance is anything to go by.
    How can I? You have not yet helped me figure out what went wrong with your 12.04.3 Precise install. I have nothing to add so far except the new copy command for the 3.7 folder.

Well on to compile xf86-input-wacom.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, the compile of xf86-input-wacom-0.23.0 on Raring was also without problems. Tested again in Gimp.

So no further light shed on your difficulty. I'd think/hope if other 12.04.3 users were encountering the same issue(s) they would have posted. I don't think it is unreasonable to suppose at least one other 12.04.3 user has compiled Wacom drivers.

I do make a habit of preserving a copy of the compile output whenever I first compile software in a new release. Gives me something to look over and is especially useful as a baseline if I encounter a problem with a later compile of a new version on that release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By the looks of it, if you are running 12.04, with a 3.2 kernel, and you are not running a LTS distro, and you are adamant that your distro is up to date, and your update manager is working, mate, ...then you must be having some remarkable ubuntu installation!

Either way, I am not disputing that the compilation works on the 3.2 kernel, maybe even in AMD64, but it certainly doesn't work in 3.8 on 12.04 LTS!

I am not at all surprised that the compilation worked in Raring, it is most likely the case that the distro was adjusted accordingly.

I doubt very much that there would be many who are on 12.04 3 and would have intuos pro, ...not something that is often bought, unless one is a dedicated artist or engineering designer, ...like me.

What is your intous pro serial?

The local distributor here is of the opinion that there was some firmware changes between intous5 and intous pro. According to him, if there is a mismatch between the firmware on the digitizer and the compilation version of the driver, the driver won't get compiled. A little far fetched, ...I think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is the complete output of the ./config of xf86-input-wacom-0.23.0:

Code:
    sapphire@sapphire:~/temp/xf86-input-wacom-0.23.0$ sudo ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    /home/sapphire/temp/xf86-input-wacom-0.23.0/missing: Unknown '--is-lightweight' option
    Try '/home/sapphire/temp/xf86-input-wacom-0.23.0/missing --help' for more information
    configure: WARNING: 'missing' script is too old or missing
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
    checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
    checking for style of include used by make... GNU
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking for suffix of executables... 
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
    checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
    checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
    checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
    checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
    checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... yes
    checking for string.h... yes
    checking for memory.h... yes
    checking for strings.h... yes
    checking for inttypes.h... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking minix/config.h usability... no
    checking minix/config.h presence... no
    checking for minix/config.h... no
    checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
    checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking how to print strings... printf
    checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
    checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
    checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
    checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
    checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
    checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
    checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
    checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
    checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
    checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
    checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
    checking for objdump... objdump
    checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
    checking for dlltool... no
    checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
    checking for ar... ar
    checking for archiver @FILE support... @
    checking for strip... strip
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
    checking for sysroot... no
    checking for mt... mt
    checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
    checking for dlfcn.h... yes
    checking for objdir... .libs
    checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
    checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
    checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
    checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
    checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
    checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
    checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
    checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
    checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
    checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
    checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
    checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
    checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
    checking whether to build static libraries... no
    checking for gcc option to accept ISO C99... -std=gnu99
    checking whether __clang__ is declared... no
    checking whether __INTEL_COMPILER is declared... no
    checking whether __SUNPRO_C is declared... no
    checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
    checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=unknown-warning-option... no
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=unused-command-line-argument... no
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wall... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wpointer-arith... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-declarations... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wformat=2... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wstrict-prototypes... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-prototypes... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wnested-externs... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wbad-function-cast... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wold-style-definition... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wdeclaration-after-statement... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wunused... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wuninitialized... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wshadow... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wcast-qual... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-noreturn... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-format-attribute... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wredundant-decls... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=implicit... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=nonnull... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=init-self... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=main... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=missing-braces... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=sequence-point... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=return-type... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=trigraphs... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=array-bounds... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=write-strings... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=address... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=int-to-pointer-cast... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=pointer-to-int-cast... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -pedantic... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror... yes
    checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=attributes... yes
    Package xorg-macros was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-macros.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'xorg-macros' found
    checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
    checking for doxygen... no
    configure: WARNING: doxygen not found - documentation targets will be skipped
    checking for rint in -lm... yes
    checking for XORG... no
    configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server >= 1.7.0 xproto xext kbproto inputproto randrproto) were not met:

No package 'xorg-server' found
    No package 'xproto' found
    No package 'xext' found
    No package 'kbproto' found
    No package 'inputproto' found
    No package 'randrproto' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XORG_CFLAGS
    and XORG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    Like I said several posts ago, doxygen and xorg-server aren't on the system.

Doxygen installs fine, but the xorg-server is what stuffs the system up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast