Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

I am on 12.04 LTS, that's right.

I redid the steps for xf86-input-wacom driver again anyway but with no luck.

It does seem like I didn't get any errors....Guess I'm waiting. I might try compile on one of my other PC's with 12.04, just to see how I go.

thanks Again. I'll keep checking incase there's new info comes up. Serves me right for buying such a new product, it only just barely works in windows as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just joined the intuos pro club, ...gotten the digitizer yesterday.

I have tried several times to get the xf86 driver installed, but the upon the ./configure command, it tells me that doxygen is missing and xorg-xserver is missing.

So, ...I installed the doxygen suite, some 650 MB, reran the ./configure command again, it found doxygen alright, but was still reporting xorg-server missing.

Googling got me to the xorg-server site, I downloaded the file, extracted it, again after ./configure, the error that it was missing some library, ...can't remember the name anymore.

Googling for it, I couldn't find anything.

A European website was offering a ppa for the Wacom driver, tried that one too, but it wouldn't compile for 31 kernel. Equally so the ppa suggested on sourceforge, same problem, ...seems that these two ppa's are copies of each other.

squiregrand, no need to blame yourself, Wacom can't sell you another product, as these are discontinued. I gotten my intuos pro only because my ancient intuos2 pen failed and I can't find a replacement for it.

It looks like we'll have to wait until April next year for 14.04 to get released, hopefully then the driver issue will be sorted out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi AussiePozzie,

and xorg-xserver is missing
    That doesn't make any sense. You wouldn't have a graphical environment without the X Server, just the command line. What is the output of:
    Code:
    Xorg -version
    run in a terminal?

I wonder if it isn't complaining that the package xserver-xorg-input-all is missing, which would happen if you uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Favux,

Here is the output:

smaragd@smaragd:~$ Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.13.3
    Release Date: 2013-03-07
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.42-37-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux smaragd 3.8.0-31-generic #46~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 11 18:21:16 UTC 2013 x86_64
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-31-generic root=UUID=67005cdf-2a1c-462e-8981-88f2a0436e6e ro quiet splash
    Build Date: 16 October 2013 04:46:41PM
    xorg-server 2:1.13.3-0ubuntu6~precise3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
    Current version of pixman: 0.28.2
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.

Seems like it's installed allright.

I had guessed that I wouldn't see anything on the onitor if xorg-server wasn't installed.

Here is the output of xinput:

smaragd@smaragd:~$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:1024 id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:2011 id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]

No intuos pro listed.

If I plug in my daughter's Bamboo, is what I get:

smaragd@smaragd:~$ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:1024 id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:2011 id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Connect Pen stylus id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Connect Pen eraser id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Connect Finger touch id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Connect Finger pad id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]

Lists it right away!

xsetwacom -V = 0.19.0
    lsmod | grep [Ww]acom = wacom 62214 0
    xsetwacom list = blank, no return

Not sure if I can make any sense out this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Favux,

Following a hunch, after you mentioned the "xserver-xorg-input-all", I tried to install it, here is the screen:

smaragd@smaragd:~$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-xfs-utils xinit libfs6
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa libglapi-mesa:i386 xserver-xorg-core
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    Suggested packages:
    gpointing-device-settings touchfreeze
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-raring:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring
    libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring:i386 libglapi-mesa-lts-raring libglapi-mesa-lts-raring:i386
    libxatracker1-lts-raring ubuntu-desktop x11-xserver-utils-lts-raring xorg
    xserver-common-lts-raring xserver-xorg-core-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-input-evdev-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-mouse-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-raring xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-ati-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-cirrus-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-mach64-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-mga-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-modesetting-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-neomagic-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-r128-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-s3-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-savage-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-sis-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-sisusb-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-tdfx-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-trident-lts-raring xserver-xorg-video-vesa-lts-raring
    xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-raring
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa libglapi-mesa:i386 xserver-xorg-core
    xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse
    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 41 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 2,454 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 37.3 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I am a little apprehensive about proceeding with the install, as it is telling me that it will remove a whole swag of stuff, on the one hand, on the other, I think that those bits it wants to install are most likely essential to the digitizer being recognized.

What's your take?

Beans
    Distro

I wouldn't. I don't understand what it is telling us.

I asked because they added a new dependency between xserver-xorg-input-wacom and xserver-xorg-input-all quite a few releases ago. Can't have one without the other and uninstalling one uninstalled the other. That was new back when. So I was wondering if you had uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom and that had uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-all. Unless it has changed in Raring both of them should be installed by default.

Not seeing the Pro in xinput list indicates that you don't have the new wacom.ko from input-wacom-0.19.0 correctly compiled or copied into the correct place. You need the new wacom.ko for kernel support of the Pro. The copy command should look like:
    Code:
    sudo cp ./3.7/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    assuming you are in the input-wacom folder.
    Last edited by Favux; October 19th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is the screenshot of the wacom.ko properties window:

Name: wacom.ko
    Type: Document (application/x-object)
    Size: 94.7 kB (94,744 bytes)

Valume: unknown

I would think that it is in the right location, and since I haven't touched it since the recent system install, I would also imagine that it would be correctly compiled by default, ...or maybe not.

Anywho, ...I have looked for wacom.ko but can't find it by itself, am I then assuming correctly, that it is only awailable in the xf86 package, or some other package, and can't be installed by itself?

Googling for "update wacom.ko" showed no useful results either.
    Last edited by AussiePozzie; October 19th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well a wacom.ko (the Wacom kernel driver/module) comes automatically with the kernel. What I kind of wanted you to do was check the wacom.ko in /lib/modules/3.8.0-31/kernel/drivers/input/tablet Properties and make sure it was the same date as when you compiled it from input-wacom-0.19.0 so we know it is the new working wacom.ko. In other words it was copied to the correct location.

Or have I confused myself and you haven't compiled a wacom.ko? You understand there are two drivers, the Wacom kernel driver and the Wacom X driver? This HOW TO has a walk through on how to compile them: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=110408 Sorry if I'm going over old territory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I went to the linux mint forum, as you suggested, and started, line by line, to install the wacom.ko, when at the line:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libncurses5-dev autoconf libtool

it asked me to agree to the same removal of drivers as I shown in the 2nd last post. I knew what was going to happen, but still let it proceed, ...just to make sure my instincts are still on par.

The line

./configure --prefix=/usr

didn't produce any error messages during the configure stage, but as soon as it was commencing the compiling, two errors came up, telling that for 31 kernel it couldn't compile. My instincts were about to be proven right, ...right here!

The line:

sudo cp ./2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

told me that there is no file wacom.ko in 2.6.38 directory, which I thought was odd, ...so I went into the filemanager and checked, and lo and behold, the wacom.ko was not there, ...full stop!

I knew it was pointless to run the last line:

sudo depmod -a

but I did it anyway, ...and then rebooted.

Well, my instincts seem to be on par allright, ...it came only as far a 'checking battery state' and then seized.

Now I'll be spending the rest of the day and A good portion of the night in rebuilding my system from scratch.

I maybe pulled up the moderators for the following harsh criticism, ...but, for crying out loud,

PLEASE GET
    DEVELOPERS TO MAINTAIN THEIR DISTROS AND PPA'S!

Beans
    Distro

Check the 3.7 folder, that's where the new wacom.ko should be. Not the 2.6.38 folder. That is the copy command I gave you above in post #16.

Since you didn't actually copy a wacom.ko into place you shouldn't have changed your system so I have no idea what is wrong. You shouldn't need to rebuild anything.

I think the linuxwacom developers having support available within a month of the release of the Pro's is amazing.

I know you are frustrated. Even if you did something with xf86-input-wacom simply unplugging the tablet and rebooting should get it to start OK. Did you ever reboot after you compiled xf86-input-wacom?
    Last edited by Favux; October 20th, 2013 at 04:44 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast