Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

Beans

intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

hey guys i just got a new wacom tablet thinking that that dandy little wacom settings button in system settings would work.
    anyway it wont recognise it. i checked a few other threads and got further confused. any help i can get would be appreciated.

thanks

also i keep trying to install a package recomended on the software center but keep getting a conflict error.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    xserver-xorg-input-wacom:i386 : Depends: xorg-input-abi-16:i386
    Depends: xserver-xorg-core:i386 (>= 2:1.10.99.901)
    Last edited by indeable; October 7th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: intuos pro medium not recognised ubuntu 12.04

Hi indeable,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

You're in luck. Support for your model was just added to the recently released drivers:
    input-wacom-0.19.0, see http://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/...sage/31485674/
    xf86-input-wacom-0.23.0, see http://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/...sage/31455616/

So you'll need to update them:
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawi...le=Input-wacom
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawi...86-input-wacom

Step by step instructions on compiling the drivers in Ubuntu is available on the BambooPT HOW TO. However you'll need to update the driver version numbers since I haven't done that yet.

Could you do me a favor and show me what the Product ID is for that tablet? Enter in a terminal the command lsusb and post the output line that contains Wacom in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Favux and Indeable,

I too, have purchased a Intuos Pro and it isn't recognised at all. I was excited when you said that Support had been added . I followed the BambooPT HOW TO, it was pretty hard for me to follow, but I got there, but have still got no recognition. I tried again, but still nothing.

I get no out put in terminal from teh following
    Code:
    lsmod | grep wacom
    my lsusb gives me "Bus 006 Device 002: ID 056a:0315 Wacom Co., Ltd "

Any Ideas?

Will the Drivers likely be included in 13.10? Because I'm happy to wait for that.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Hi squiregrand,

Sounds like you are new to compiling. In that case nice work getting through the HOW TO's steps. If the output after you enter the commands didn't spit back any errors, and they aren't real subtle, then you might still be OK.

For whatever reason some systems don't auto-load the Wacom kernel driver/module wacom.ko. You can "force" it to load by adding it to the modules file in /etc. To edit modules run this command:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    and then add wacom to the bottom of the list of modules/drivers that should be in there. There are usually at least 2 or 3. Reboot and with luck the Intuos Pro will be working and you should see wacom in lsmod.

Thanks for lsusb output. Since the Pros are in the current release of xf86-input-wacom my guess is 13.10 will have them. But that is just the X driver and you also need the kernel driver. I doubt 13.10's kernel will have Pro support. I'm not sure when support for the Pro's was submitted to the kernel's linux-input mailing list but it was very recent. So it has to be after 13.10's kernel freeze. Ubuntu's kernel team would probably have to backport Pro support from that kernel to 13.10's kernel, which is unlikely. My guess is you'll still have to compile input-wacom to get a wacom.ko that supports the Pro in 13.10.

Beans
    Distro

I haven't done much compiling, even though I've used Ubuntu for a bout 3 years now. Thanks for the encouragement. The only error I noticed was when I did the Frankensever patch, but that's becuase I used the wrong one the first time. Got it to work with the appropriate output the second time.

I added wacom to the modules list but still no joy. I can see it in the lsmod now, which is good, but the system settings tab for wacom still has no recognition, and I'm getting no response from the cursor. Perhaps I did the compiling wrong, is it worth going back through the process on both drivers again? What do you reckon?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

The System Settings Wacom configuration applet won't show your tablet because its older version of libwacom doesn't have the tablet's data file in it. So ignore that and instead concentrate on whether or not the pointer arrow tracks the pen.

I'd start with concentrating on input-wacom's wacom.ko and make sure that was being compiled correctly. As a first step I'd make sure that it was the freshly compiled wacom.ko auto-loading. Check in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/ for the wacom.ko. Using Properties get the date and see if it is the same date as when you compiled the new one. The `uname -r` returns the kernel version your system is using and you can get that by running uname -r in a terminal. If it is the same date then I'd try recompiling, checking the outputs for errors. After making sure I was using the 0.19.0 version of input-wacom.

Edit: I should mention folks are just starting to attempt to get these new models working in linux. So you are a bit of a pioneer. That means I can't rule out a glitch that might be tripping you up until a few more folks report on their mileage.
    Last edited by Favux; October 10th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Favux.

The Date is corect so I'll try to compile again. See how I go...

Beans
    Distro

I've recompiled the wacom.ko drivers but still no sucess. Do I have to redo the steps for xf86-input-wacom driver as well?

Thanks Again.
    Last edited by squiregrand; October 12th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, I've done the whole proces through again but still no cigar. I think that i didn't have any errors, but around the 'make' comands I was a bit unsure of what was happening, so not sure if there could have been an eror or not.

on the b) section, when I got to 'make' it didn't do much, I think it said something like
    nothing to make for 'all'
    not sure if that was supposed to happen, I don't have the exact text as I rebooted. can get it if that's helpful.

Thanks for all your help Favux, I think maybe this is one of those Glitches I'm going to have to wait on. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Beans
    Distro

Well shoot. Sounds like it should be working.

Just to be sure your release of Ubuntu is Precise (12.04) correct?

I checked input-wacom0.19.0 and the newly compiled wacom.ko for 12.04 should be showing up in the 2.6.38 folder. In other words the code for support in the 12.04 3.2 kernel is there.
    Do I have to redo the steps for xf86-input-wacom driver as well?
    Not totally sure. The Pen might work through the generic stylus fall back in the X driver. It could be without the Pro models added to wcmValidateDevice.c the X driver won't recognize them. You do need the updated xf86-input-wacom for the correct resolution, and model number in wcmUSB.c.
    nothing to make for 'all'
    Don't worry that isn't an error it is just reporting a make file result. Errors tend to be summarized towards the end of the output and begin with ERROR. If you saved the output I could take a quick look.

Looks like we may need someone else trying to compile support for the Pro and see if we can figure it out. Josep Febrer on the linuxwacom-discuss mailing list reported success but he didn't offer details. Don't even know his Distro or release.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast