Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to load kernel with grub2

Beans

how to load kernel with grub2

Just installed Lubuntu 12.10 alternate install on an old PC (Celeron, 318MB RAM), and after the install all I get is a CLI with a "grub> "
    How do I load a kernel?
    (I'm a newbie, if you cannot tell..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to load kernel with grub2

What choices does Grub offer you?
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome to the forums and Lubuntu!

You are stuck at the grub bootloader. Because you did not get a black screen, chances are this is not a video driver issue but a kernel issue. Please describe your system just a little more... some Celerons are 32-bit and some are 64-bit. Do you know which yours is? If not, Google make/model of old PC. The CPU speed is also an indicator of the model of Celeron. What MHz does it run at?

Did you install 32-bit Lubuntu or 64-bit? It is also possible that your install disk is corrupted. Did you download it using torrent or one of the mirror sites?

318 MB RAM is severely limiting. The only 'buntu distro that it will run at all would be Lubuntu. You may actually have better luck running another distro altogether like Puppy, CrunchBang or SliTaz.

Did you try running Lubuntu as a LiveDVD before installing it? If not, please try to do so now. If it cannot run as a LiveDVD, then it won't run when installed either and we would need to do some detective work to make it work.

Please answer all above questions and we can see where to go from there.

Beans

No GUI. just the grub> cursor

Beans

Single core 667MHz, 32bit; I know it's low on power, it's why I chose Lubuntu 32bit. Used a mirror to get the ISO. Did not try LiveCD, since I tried it a while ago on a similarly low powered laptop and it worked ok there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How did you install?
    BTC: 1E8os2cx3JLnp9PMZAtn1eT8kBxaRPq9Hp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rauloid View Post
    Single core 667MHz, 32bit; I know it's low on power, it's why I chose Lubuntu 32bit. Used a mirror to get the ISO. Did not try LiveCD, since I tried it a while ago on a similarly low powered laptop and it worked ok there.
    Torrent downloads are more reliable due to concurrent dynamic error-checking. Try LiveCD now and let us know if it works.

Beans

tried LiveCD and it works.
    should I try to repair the install or ..?

Beans

does anyone know how to load the kernel from my grub> CLI?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is possible to search for your /boot, but by the time we walk you through this, you may as well have installed a new Lubuntu. I suspect that a problem occurred during your initial install and GRUB was not pointed properly to your /boot. Rather than trying to figure out your partitioning scheme, find /boot and edit your various config files from a LiveCD, it will save you time and unnecessary effort to just install Lubuntu again, but this time, from the LiveCD. Alternate installs are fine if you are more versed in installations, but for new users, LiveCD is most intuitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast