Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone number leaked to India-based scammers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Phone number leaked to India-based scammers

On landlines, if I do not recognize the phone number or if it is not in the contact list > ignore.
    On cell phone, same thing. In addition, I have an Ignore Me contact with no ringtone that I assign these numbers to and then block them > ignore.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

For my landline, I pay a small amount for an option called "choose to refuse". If someone with a number in my blocked list tries to call me, they get a recorded message saying, "This number is not accepting calls from you." And in a somewhat coldly aloof tone of voice too!

It was with great pleasure that the first number I blocked was from the phone company's sales office, who had been hassling me with pointless "offers".

Of course, it doesn't work if you don't know the number of the person annoying you, and scammers usually call from a withheld number.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another common scam is where they claim your bank /credit card is at risk and ask you to call the bank/credit card company. Again they don't hang up, but stay connected. They can even play a recorded dial tone, then someone appears to answer "your call" They then ask for the long number off your bank/credit card, Ask you the start and expiry date (often posing this as a security question) and then ask for the 3 digit security code from the back (again as a further security question) They will even ask for your pin number. They now have all the information they need to clone your bank/credit card. You won't know until your next statement. They do sound very convincing too.
    A real bank/credit card company, will never ask you for your card number,security code , far less your pin number.
    Last edited by jockyburns; October 17th, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by jockyburns View Post
    Another common scam is where they claim your bank /credit card is at risk and ask you to call the bank/credit card company. Again they don't hang up, but stay connected. They can even play a recorded dial tone, then someone appears to answer "your call" They then ask for the long number off your bank/credit card, Ask you the start and expiry date (often posing this as a security question) and then ask for the 3 digit security code from the back (again as a further security question) They will even ask for your pin number. They now have all the information they need to clone your bank/credit card. You won't know until your next statement. They do sound very convincing too.
    A real bank/credit card company, will never ask you for your card number,security code , far less your pin number.
    In the UK after they have done the above they say that a courier will collect your card "to prevent theft". A motorbike will arrive, take your card and ten minutes later your account will be robbed.

Depending on my mood I either play along to waste their time, tell them that they are criminals and will go to jail or pretend to be a witchdoctor and put a curse on them. Something like "as from today all your money will be cursed!". As many people are superstitious I hope that they get a fright and give up the scamming job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jockyburns View Post
    Thing is, banks do often get in touch with a customer if there has been "suspicious" transactions going on (eg someone has tried to use your account in Thailand when you have never used your card overseas before). And banks (and cellphone companies) do use couriers sometimes, but I've only known that to happen when they are giving or exchanging something with you - eg the courier comes to swap your faulty cellphone for a new one... in which case it would have been you who called them... and a bank wouldn't want your old card, they'd tell you to cut it up) As you said, a bank would never ask for your PIN. And I can't see any reason why they'd ask for numbers from your card. But a bank would ask for some personal info, to confirm you are you. I guess the only way you can be sure is to ask whether they know your date of birth! [EDIT: No, that wouldn't happen, it's trivial to find out what someone's date of birth is]

Incidentally, I live in the UK, but recently got a VPN account based in another country. I logged onto Gmail, then later I got an email from Google asking if I knew my Gmail had been accessed from abroad! Their nosy-parkerism isn't all bad I guess...
    Last edited by t0p; October 20th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's probably also important to note, aside from how any scammer can get a phone number, that unless you a) are actively publicly selling microsoft products through illicit means, or b)pay a lot more money to microsoft for special extra support, microsoft will never contact you.
    And why should they, they already have your money.
    The onus is on you to contact microsoft if problems arise.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Sadly these thing's are common practice especially in the uk where I live. More than likely they got your details from some sort of on-line survey customer questionnaire. A lot of companies collect your personnel data then sell it off to the highest bidder no matter what that bidder's intentions to do with your data. Always beware of any type of cold callers better of just tell all of them to do one and hang up (that's putting it politely)

Beans

they never called again.. but they did know the name of the owner of the house and that I found a bit annoying. but maybe not surprising.. anyway, it doesn't bother me anymore.
    thanks for all replies, it's always nice to get some feedback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just tell them that I already talked to Bill and he said my PC is ok. Other times I ask them .. "What is the Adress of Micorsoft World Headquartes and then they start to dance around the issue: "Sir , your computer is infecting other people's computers!" No straight answers. In Canada, not even the RCMP can do anything because they are using cell and are so hard to track down.
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

I already got a phone call from them 4 times in the last 2 months. As we only have linux on our PCs I suspected that they were a fraud. I just told them to wait as I was going to turn on the PC and then I just leave the phone off the hook till they got sick of waiting for me to return

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast