Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I set my first password

Beans

how do I set my first password

I am trying to add items from the software center and it requires authentication with the administrator's password. I am the administrator, but am unable to set a password as it appears that there is already a password. How can I find out what this password is so that I can change it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how do I set my first password

Assuming that you have the default install, your "administrator" password is that same one you log in with.

Beans

What is a "default install"? I do not log in with a password.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You had to have defined a password when you installed. As far as I can remember, the system will not permit you to proceed with the install without one. You probably turned on "Login without password" when you set up your install, a very bad practice that many new users port from their Windows habits into Ubuntu. The downside is that you now don't recall what that password was. Since Linux is very security-based, that password is all-important. As you have discovered, the operating system will not allow anyone to install apps willy-nilly or change basic elements of the OS without password authentication. This is one of the main reasons (but there are others) that Linux has been able to avoid the viruses that infest Windows.

This site provides a detailed and step-by-step method to define a new password. After you have finished the procedure, I highly, highly recommend that you turn login password authentication back on and start cultivating good security practices. You will find this to be a godsend later, when your friends must battle malware from every direction while you have hardened your system into a very tough nut to crack. The following are all good security websites for new users:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...oject/security

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SirRoverofIvories View Post
    I am trying to add items from the software center and it requires authentication with the administrator's password. I am the administrator, but am unable to set a password as it appears that there is already a password. How can I find out what this password is so that I can change it.
    Unless you know the password, follow the psychocats guide posted earlier.

How exactly did you come across this Operating system.
    Did you install it yourself, or was it given to you?

If you installed it yourself, then you set the password.
    It doesn't finish installing unless you do.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thank you. The problem is that I did not install Ubuntu but was done by a trusted Geek while the computer was being "cleaned." I will call on Monday and try to get the password from him. If he does not remember it, can I use my CD and just reinstall Ubuntu. The reason I had him install it was that when I tried to install before the computer was cleaned there was a Windows8 problem that prevented it and the Ubuntu instructions were confusing to me.
    Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah. Thanks for clarification. I hope you don't mind my saying this, but in future, providing such context and background at the outset prevents hours of unnecessary dead ends and confusion. (@deadflowr--good antennae!).

If you follow the instructions in my previous link, you will not have to reinstall Ubuntu. On the other hand, I firmly believe that installing it on your own from scratch is not only instructive, but will assist you if you find yourself needing to do so again. Whichever option you choose, I strongly urge you to not just leave the password in your "trusted geek's" hands. While in no way impugning the integrity of your trusted geek, it is just bad security (s/he may lose it or have unscrupulous roommates) and the opposite of good habit. But, obviously, it's entirely your call.

Beans

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance. I've learn some (read alot - learned some!) and the problem has been solved. I dropped by Best Buy and the geek who installed Ubuntu told me the password. I'm operating happily.

One last question. If I'm the only one using the computer (and live alone) do I need to use a password to start. I do not save anything on the computer. Everything is saved on a flashdrive. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can it the computer to auto-login.
    Go to the system settings > user accounts(or whatever the name is for you version of Ubuntu) and unlock it.
    You'll need to you your password to unlock, then set the automatic login switch to on.
    Whatever you do though, DO NOT do anything to the line about password, some user think if you disable the password then you can run the system without needing it, but what happens is disabling the password effectively disables the users account.

Another thing you can do is disable the lock in brightness and lock in system settings.
    That way, you won't need to enter your password if your screensaver goes off.
    Or simply set the screensaver to never.

Other than that, you should only need to use your password to do system wide changes.
    Installing new software and some updates will require authentication.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SirRoverofIvories View Post
    ... I dropped by Best Buy and the geek who installed Ubuntu told me the password. I'm operating happily...
    I'd be changing that then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast