Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advantage of gaming on Linux?

Beans

Advantage of gaming on Linux?

I keep on hearing about how Linux is way better than Windows, especially with gaming. Is there really a big difference in gaming on Linux? I tried a couple of games myself, but I didn't notice anything spectacularly different.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Advantage of gaming on Linux?

People with really decent GPUs probably aren't going to notice a huge difference, but on Intel hardware, my favorite games stay at a solid 60 FPS, and don't ever skip or hiccup. The performance I get on Windows 7 is utter garbage compared to Ubuntu Linux, (Some games don't even show decals on Win7.) and that's considering I'm using the open source drivers.

The best part is I'm not using CCleaner bi-daily to keep the registry and temp caches clear on Linux. It is a much more robust operating system overall, and far less delicate than a Windows installation. That doesn't have an effect on performance, but reliability is important if you want to enjoy your games. After going Linux, I don't ever want to waste my time doing nightly Spyware scans and pointless defragging every other week ever again. Leaves much more time for hobbies and games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I still dual-boot, but I'm spending a lot less time in the past year gaming in Windows, and a lot more time gaming in Linux. Steam and Desura have had a lot to do with that.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by taylor5 View Post
    I keep on hearing about how Linux is way better than Windows, especially with gaming. Is there really a big difference in gaming on Linux? I tried a couple of games myself, but I didn't notice anything spectacularly different.
    Here's a case study in point form...

1. You want to build a PC
    2. You have a budget
    3. Google the differing prices of Windows 8 and 7 and what you get on each flavour out of the box.
    4. Now you have to consider... Linux and any of her distros can provide absolutely EVERYTHING the most expensive Windows 8 and 7 can provide PLUS more for the magical sum of = FREE
    5. Now you can consider not blowing away all that dough on the new M$ Windows and adding that cash to a better graphics card or monitor, whatever.
    6. And if you considered and followed through, you don't have to waste resources (and money) on virus scanners, spyware-scanners, defragging, Office software, etc, etc.
    7. Now being open source you can do absolutely anything you want with the OS! You aren't locked down by anything! No propriety secret crap you can't touch! You mould your OS into your own distro like Valve!
    8. Now you have Steam! Games are better each month; AAA games are on the horizon and guaranteed (Crytek, 4A Games, Bohemia Interactive; to name a few AAA game developers)!
    9. Now you have freedom!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Better overall performance. OpenGL runs faster on Linux than Windows. OpenCL, OpenMP, and SDL might also run faster on Linux as well.

Generally speaking, open-source software runs best on an open-source operating system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yeah, from a budget perspective, the money you would put into a windows license can be put into a better GPU, or a better CPU, more RAM, etc. It's personal choice, but with the costs of windows licenses that rival low-medium graphics cards...
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by taylor5 View Post
    If you game on linux everyone in town will know you have a big D. Flower petals will fall on the floor as you leave your house, and ladies will line up for a chance to get with you. You will win the lottery and will be able to establish your own harem.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Its not for everyone, but linux does have its pros.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DanglingPointer View Post
    Linux and any of her distros can provide absolutely EVERYTHING the most expensive Windows 8 and 7 can provide PLUS more for the magical sum of = FREE

not really true. while the OS does have potential the GPU drivers do not offer as much in linux as they do in windows. and many windows games run better in their native windows/directx environment.

i don't see any advantage to "game" in linux. at least not until the OS gets same support from manufacturers and game developers.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    not really true. while the OS does have potential the GPU drivers do not offer as much in linux as they do in windows. and many windows games run better in their native windows/directx environment.
    I would direct you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdEftFFG_I to see a direct comparison of Left4Dead 2 under Windows with DirectX and Linux with OpenGL.

This is what made Gabe Newell declare that Linux is the superior gaming platform.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I would direct you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdEftFFG_I to see a direct comparison of Left4Dead 2 under Windows with DirectX and Linux with OpenGL.

This is what made Gabe Newell declare that Linux is the superior gaming platform.
    This is still rather misleading; keep in mind that AAA games (brand new, out of the box and on the shelf) aren't really natively supported in Linux yet. There's more and more gaining Linux support and we've got AMAZING folks in the community working on projects like PlayOnLinux, WINE, etc, but the fact of the matter remains, when folks quote "X game plays better on Linux vs. Windows, as seen in this YouTube video..." the games aren't brand new, out of the box supported on Linux. Steam is slowly steering the massive ship towards better, quicker and more robust Linux support, but we're not looking at a tri-OS support when AAA games are released.

With that said, Linux doesn't have the kind of system overhead that Win7 and Win8 have (and don't get me started on Vista...). So Linux uses far less system resources which are then/therefore more available to power your games. You won't ALWAYS or even OFTEN see performance increases on Linux vs. Windows environments, and that exception lies in native support within Linux. If the game is natively supported, you'll likely have a great time playing it. If it's not, there's no guarantee that you'll see performance like you would on the Windows installation.

Take a look at WoW; plays GREAT on both Linux and Windows installations. SWTOR, on the other hand, plays very well on Windows, but for me, I haven't gotten it to successfully play at all in Linux (there's ways to make it work.. however, I haven't dived down that rabbit hole yet). These are both 2+ year old games. The Elder Scrolls Online isn't talking about native Linux support (at least not that I'm aware of), but I know that there's a group of folks in the Linux community that will find a way to throw down the WINE gauntlet and make it work! Linux is moving in the native-support direction... but we're still not there yet. Steam is really spear-heading the commercial side of this. And hopefully, the big dogs will follow suit quickly.
    Tantum eruditi sunt liberi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast