Thread: Virtualbox won't load Ubuntu after upgrade to 12.10

Beans

Virtualbox won't load Ubuntu after upgrade to 12.10

I have a dualboot setup with Windows 7 as my host CPU on Hard drive #1 and an Ubuntu partition on Hard drive #2. I installed VirtualBox (v4.2.18) on the Windows 7 OS and had everything working with this configuration. I decided to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 and that broke everything, starting with the boot loader. I believe the Grub --> Grub2 upgrade broke my boot loader. I was able to recover from this and I have both OSes booting individually.

However, Virtualbox (run from Windows 7) does not work. The grub boot loader menu shows up, I select Ubuntu, and then I get black screen forever.

In order to get Ubuntu 12.04 to work with Virtualbox on Windows 7 I had to follow these steps:
    http://merx3.wordpress.com/2012/08/2...using-windows/
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/78...nside-windows/

When I redid all of these steps from scratch after the Ubuntu 12.10 upgrade I was no longer able to boot.

I also tried purging Virtualbox from my Ubuntu install and reinstalled it but that did not help. I also tried creating a new virtual machine.

I have done a ton of research online and in the forums. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Virtualbox won't load Ubuntu after upgrade to 12.10

I have an update. I mentioned that the GNU Grub boot loader does appear. Well I have these options:

Ubuntu
    Advanced options for Ubuntu

Under Advanced options for Ubuntu are the following:

Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41 generic
    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31 generic

If I select "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-31 generic" Ubuntu actually boots! However, it feels REALLY slow and says "Loading initial ramdisk" as it is booting. The 3.5 version however fails to load.

Am I close?