Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 lts wireless/wifi problem

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 lts wireless/wifi problem

First I downloaded these 2 files from another computer and then I moved them to an USB and then to my Ubuntu computer with no wifi. I put the files into home/downloads http://tinypic.com/r/ojnzr/5. Then I wrote the code "cd /home/downloads" but then terminal answered "no such file or directory" .

I don't know what to do, I really suck at these.

Beans

.have I done everything wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok. We'll try and do this step by step. Just in case you haven't done it yet, install b43-fwcutter, thus:

1/ Boot into Ubuntu. Once you're at the desktop, insert the CD you installed Ubuntu with.
    2/ Open a terminal and apply these two commands, one at a time, hitting return between each (wait for each to do their thing and you're back at a cursor before applying the next command):

Code:
    cd /cdrom/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/
    sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter*
    Now, download this file:

b43 (12.04 Precise Pangolin) - http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...mipsel.tar.bz2

(From the link given in the other posts.) Once you have that copy it to your /home folder, then these two commands, one after the other with return between:

Code:
    tar xfvj broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3_mipsel.tar.bz2
    sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3/driver/wl_apsta/wl_prebuilt.o
    Reboot the computer and see what happens. At the least, we should have b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer installed.

If you have any probs, post back. If you get that done and restart and you get nothing, run this command:

Code:
    iwconfig
    ... and post the result.

PS: Absolutely no way you can get an ethernet cable to the computer? Anyways, let's hope this works.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 6th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Beans

Thank you, I will test this tomorrow

I have an Ethernet cable, But I don't get internet even if I connect it to the computer Is it easier if I use the Ethernet cable or what is it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Plug the ethernet cable in and run this command:

Code:
    ifconfig
    Post back the result. Also with the cable in, does the network icon say it's connected?

Beans

Thank you mate I got internet through the ethernet cable now, but when I try to get it through wireless, it's not working. How do I get through wireless now? Should i make the command that you post before or is it anything easier now when I can get internet through the cable??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You have ethernet working? Great. MUCH easier.

1/ Open 'Update Manager' and do an update. It could come up with a lot of stuff, but that's fine: hit 'Install';
    2/ Open 'Additional Drivers'. Is there anything there mentioning 'b43'? If so, enable it.

You may need to restart or the wireless may start working straight away.

* If there is nothing in 'Additional Drivers':

1/ Open Software Centre (or Synaptics, whichever you're using), search for and install:

b43-fwcutter
    firmware-b43-installer

2/ Unplug the cable, restart and you should be there. If not, report back, but shouldn't be far away.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 7th, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

I found a driver called Broadcom STA wireless driver, then I enabled/installed the driver and now the wireless working perfect Thank you so much man, you are awesome I hope I can be as good as you in the future so I can help people like you helped me

Thank you very much and I'm very thankful for the help you gaved me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All good. Glad you got it working. The STA driver can be flaky for some Broadcom cards but seems to be working for you so enjoy! If you have any issues, swap to the b43 (just disable the STA and refer back to this thread).

Good luck, and please mark as 'solved' to help others from 'Thread Tools' at top right.

PS: Did you find the STA driver in 'Additional Drivers'?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 7th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Beans

How do I change to the b43 driver? It can be nice to know if I should get any problems in the future

Yes, I found the STA driver in 'additional drivers'

And thank you for all help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast